Advice on rod-brake Raleigh restoration

Grab

Retro Newbie
A friend of mine works for a charity restoring bikes. We are wondering what would be the best approach to this one. Sell as is or restore it ourselves. We are both OK with building our own modern road bikes, but I thinking this might be a bit specialized, and may even deprive someone of the pleasure of doing up.

I'd really appreciate info on value as is, and restored.
Also best approach to restoring.

Should you be interested and want to make an offer please feel free.

All proceeds will go to http://www.asylumlink.org.uk/

Attachments

• SAM_1300.JPG
    SAM_1300.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 923
  • SAM_1302.JPG
    SAM_1302.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 923
If that's the original paintwork then I'd leave it as it is - just tidy it up and adjust the brakes and gears, replace brake blocks if necessary. There should be transfers, or signs of them, on the chaincase and down tube. You can date the bike from the rear hub - there should be the month and last two digits of the year on there. The people on here are more into this kind of bike.

It will make a smashing runaround for someone - I've got a similar bike (1951 Humber) and it gets loads of use. It does what its meant for very well indeed. - Every cyclist should have one!

This should probably be on a different part of the forum really.

maybe this listing will help as a guidline? its more modern but in good condition

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MENS- ... 3a743623f2

I sold one in mint condition for £230 with another tatty one in part exchange.

sold the tatty one a few weeks back for £130. I'd say the value of yours is between £160 and £200, but thats just my opinion. Really depends who your pushing it to. I would leave the paint as it looks pretty good. maybe clean the wheels up with a brillo pad and water spray. I've attached a pic of the one I sold, with the part exchange it went for £360 but i had to clean up the part exchange bike and sell it on.

Attachments

• IMG00406-20100603-1734.jpg
    IMG00406-20100603-1734.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG00407-20100603-1734.jpg
    IMG00407-20100603-1734.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 877
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back