Advice on Pannier Racks and Bags

A waterproof dry bag strapped to the top of the rack works well. PlanetX podsacs roll top bags are inexpensive and tough.

PM sent with photos of racks.

Thanks for the help guys, we're going to be taking more gear than most day trippers as we are also considering camping (will need to get a couple of 100ltr rucksacks to carry our tent, sleeping bag, pillows & airbed ...as this seems the best option). Food, tools and supplies will then be allocated to the rear panniers and im thinking about getting a handlebar bag for good measure. :D

100ltr rucsac (each!) on a loaded bike? Hope you've a good chiropractor! I've gone a week in Scotland in winter, self contained with 50 litre on foot (so no extra luggage on a bike).

Wylie":3nw6nzve said:
Thanks for the help guys, we're going to be taking more gear than most day trippers as we are also considering camping (will need to get a couple of 100ltr rucksacks to carry our tent, sleeping bag, pillows & airbed ...as this seems the best option). Food, tools and supplies will then be allocated to the rear panniers and im thinking about getting a handlebar bag for good measure. :D

Even a small rucksack will cause you a whole amount of pain, quite literally... 100 litre rucksack while biking? absolutely no way at all - makes everything a lot harder, pedalling, steering, looking where you're going, enjoying yourself... and not to mention more dangerous. And painful. Very. Even with a tent and sleeping stuff you only need two decent rear panniers and a bar bag or something small up front. Especially if there are two or more of you to share tent, stove, etc.

Maybe we'll get smaller packs ...ive not much knowledge of how much gear i will get in a set of rear panniers. Btw ...is your avatar a nod to "A Clockwork Orange" ?

Everything you will need for a week's riding will fit in two rear panniers. If camping you would need a tent and sleeping bag to go on top. All up camping is around 13kg.
In my view, if it won't fit it's too much!
27838532024_793c44e484_c.jpg

Back