advice on a wheelset for this Pinarello Paris

Re:

H plus son tb14 rims laced to durance hubs. Forget old open Pro. Narrow rims are less comfortable than wider one for tyre volume reasons.

There are the mavic cosmic rim cxp12 whatever they are which h are fine as 24h wheels.

You could however just do it properly with ambrosia nemesis tubular rims and some da hubs. This was a race bike back in the day. These are proper old school race wheels.

Thanks. Indeed this was race bike and would prefer to mount period correct racing wheels too, avoiding deep rims because of the weight & wind effect in particular.

I learned a lot about wheels reading trough your web site, thanks for the info;)

DA 7700 hubs are the way to go, and it's very likely I'm going with Ambrosio (Nemesis or Excellence) or OP, grey, black or luckily in red. Open Pro's have detractors but are reasonably easy to source.

Were Mavic Open Pro's (clincher!!!) used in pro racing back in the late 90's early 2000 or were all pro rims tubular?

Almost decided for ambrosio clinchers but red or black ?????

Attachments

• g9mdoAu.jpg
    g9mdoAu.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 533
  • images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 533
You're probably right ..

Maybe it's my lack of knwoledge but I've found a lot of info on good "non aero" rims from the 80's and early 90's but there is little about late 90's and early 2000. An interesting and short transition period where aluminium bikes were the queens and deep rims showed up , some on carbon ... Everyone talks about the goods of the Nemesis although most of the times referring to PR. Not sure if they were used on Tour de France of Giro. Read that Pantani used Campy electron's on 1998.

Got a good deal on a pair of light DA 7850.. One or two years ahead of the frame period but they are very nice and light. I'll keep the 7700 groupset on the rest. Looking forward to test the Veloflex masters ;)

Attachments

• 20180329_141649.jpg
    20180329_141649.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 472
Veloflex are very responsive & lively Tyre compared to the dead feeling of any continental Tyre so you made a good choice..

Back