Aaaarrrrggggghhh!!! Stupid pedals!

put the pedal axle in the vice (tight),
walk away,
make a cup of tea,
drink about half the cup,
sneak back up on the crank when its not expecting it
scream baaarrrguuullluuuggghhhhhh! at it from the top of your lungs
and hey presto as you pull on the crank with the simultaneous scream it will come free.

it's toying with you but you can scare it into submission.

;]

Yay! I got it out!

All I had to do was cut the axle down and file a couple of flats on it to clamp in the vice. It only took about 2 hours. :LOL: :LOL:

Now I'll just weld the axle back together so I don't have to buy another one. I can build up the flats with chemical metal so that'll be OK then. ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I would have tried to grip it with a mole wrench where the flat would normally be..
Oh and yes allen bolts heads in Ti round off pretty easy (compared to steel ones), it's not as tough as the Steel Allen Keys you are using, even worse if your keys are a little bit worn.
It not designed for high torque situations

Torx style paterns seem to be more resilient as there is somethign to 'grip' to.

The axle was a chromoly one though. I examined it after I got it out and could find no earthly reason why it'd seized. :? Maybe it just liked being on a set of Turbine LPs. :LOL: :LOL:

I had to file flats on the axle as Crank Bros, in their wisdom, decided that they weren't necessary, even though there was space on the axle for them. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I could have sworn I read they where Ti axle :shock: :oops: I'm going mad, loopy loopy loopy I say :xmas-big-grin:

Mole wrench doesn't need flats, it does create nice teeth marks in the sides though as it bites into the axle :mrgreen:

FluffyChicken":3ffjzj2u said:
Mole wrench doesn't need flats, it does create nice teeth marks in the sides though as it bites into the axle :mrgreen:

I'd already tried that! It just slipped around the axle. When I tightened it up some more I managed to snap off the lower jaw! :shock: :oops: The boss wasn't happy! :LOL: :LOL:

Kona Paul":3ffjzj2u said:
CB pedals take an 8mm allen key. That might explain how you rounded the hex fitting.

If you can get an 8mm allen key in these pedals (without any extra machining :LOL: ) then I'll give you my Kili Ultra! ;)

They're deffo 6mm. The candys have a heavier duty axle than the egg beaters.

Kona Paul":3u4k7sab said:
You can keep your Kili, but I have eggbeaters and candies, and both mine are an 8mm. Maybe CB have changed them.

Maybe. They are nearly 2 years old.

That's bizarre, so are mine! :? Mine are 4 ti. I wonder if that makes a difference? I would have thought they would all be the same. Oh well, not worth losing sleep over.

Back