A Torus Titanium Find Now Finished

Re: A Lucky Ti Find

Yeah, that needs sorting. The slot a) looks much longer than any of the frames i've had and b) is far more cracked than the one i had warrantied. Also looks a right mess, looks like someone did it with a hacksaw!

Re:

Yup...the clamp and qr were fooked too like jeff capes had adjusted it! What might such a repair cost you think?

Re: A Lucky Ti Find

No idea, you'll have to find someone who works with Ti.
It'll also need the shim popping out before you weld.......

Re:

This is the main reason I always use 400-410mm seat posts.... :facepalm:

Personally speaking, I'd take a cutting disc to that and shorten it enough that a seat clamp sat just above the weld, fit a long seat post and a seat clamp that covered/held the cracks. That way it would be the seat tube taking the load rather than all the leverage being concentrated up near the clamp area.

I doubt it would ever give you any cause for concern unless you were rolling off big drops... just my two penneth :cool:

Re: A (not so) Lucky Ti Find

Yeah, was going to suggest cutting it down too., Not sure if there will be enough tube left for a clamp though.

Re: Re:

velofrog":2sr99tsg said:

Personally speaking, I'd take a cutting disc to that and shorten it enough that a seat clamp sat just above the weld, fit a long seat post and a seat clamp that covered/held the cracks. That way it would be the seat tube taking the load rather than all the leverage being concentrated up near the clamp area.

I doubt it would ever give you any cause for concern unless you were rolling off big drops... just my two penneth :cool:

Yeah that was a though I also had however was soon dismissed as the crack is well below the top of the top tube so nowhere for the clamp to go. Hmmmm

Re:

A small 2 or 3mm hole drilled at the end of each crack might prevent it going further.

Re: Re:

velofrog":3qrwandn said:
Won't work, the aluminium shim is only ~80-100mm long, so once you are past that, you've just got a load of useless post.........

Back