A new breed of cyclist...

On my way to work there is a short hill that goes round a bend with a busy shared pathway next to it. I can leave it in the big ring, get out of the saddle and go up that hill at around 17mph. If I do this on the shared pathway it's dangerous and I get abuse, so I choose to ride on the road. The amount of abuse and threats I get from drivers for not using the cycle lane is un-real and sometimes quite upsetting. So what should I do, slow down and cycle up the hill on the path at walking pace? Basically if want to keep going at decent speed I don't seem to be able to get through that section of my ride without being called a c***, often by more than one person. Oh and I don't GPS/Strava my commutes to work.

DA-EVO":1tr8fh0n said:
the worst offenders actually shouting 'Strava' at people as if this is some form of acceptable way of getting folks out of their way so they can set a good segment time / KOM.

Think I might start shouting this back at the cars :LOL:. Seriously :mrgreen:

Oh, and BTW, got a PR on the shared path tonight in the wind and rain. Now average 20mph on my Axis, over 1.3 miles. :oops:

Pyro Tim":3c8ulwli said:
you don't have to use the cycle path by law. You are traffic, so stay on the road.

I know ;) , it' the car drivers that don't!!! :facepalm:

My point was that sometimes where a shared pathway runs along side a road, as a cyclist that want's to carry on at 20 mph you are likely to get abuse either from pedestrians or slower cyclists if you use the path (for going too fast), or car drivers if you use the road (for not using the path and for going too slow). I have this problem and the constant abuse from people is pretty upsetting as I'm doing nothing wrong, I'm just trying to get to work.

JamesM":211s8tro said:
Pyro Tim":211s8tro said:
you don't have to use the cycle path by law. You are traffic, so stay on the road.

I know ;) , it' the car drivers that don't!!! :facepalm:

My point was that sometimes where a shared pathway runs along side a road, as a cyclist that want's to carry on at 20 mph you are likely to get abuse either from pedestrians or slower cyclists if you use the path (for going too fast), or car drivers if you use the road (for not using the path and for going too slow). I have this problem and the constant abuse from people is pretty upsetting as I'm doing nothing wrong, I'm just trying to get to work.
True, but I'd rather take it from the idiots in tin boxes. The people on the shared path have a point, plus it's great fun winding a driver up to bursting point, then passing them and not seeing them again when you both hit the traffic.

Grannygrinder":osp08ire said:
Barney.
Does said cycleroute/footpath pass through the suburb of Cardiff with the best place name ever.....Splott?? :D

Haha, nowhere near there fortunately! The one I'm referring to runs from by Cardiff International Pool, along the side of Cardiff Bay and along the river up towards Clarence Bridge in Butetown/Riverside.

btw how are segments created? i have a regular route that when plotted out err kinda looks like a drawing of the male genitals?

Back