A Morati in disguise: SUNN Exact Ti from around '00

fearfactoryüberalles

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

As a broke-ass uni student some 2 decades ago I always fancied the Czech-made Morati MTBs, which were distributed in the early 2000's in Hungary for some eye-watering prices at about 1700 € for a bare frame :shock: .

Just to put this into perspective, you could buy 2 acres of very good quality arable land back then in Hungary for the same amount and these 2 acres are worth now about at least 30.000 € min., due to greedy peasants' high demand - so 1.6 kg of aerospace-grade titanium wasn't the best investment from this aspect, it seems :roll: :facepalm: :twisted:

Anyway, fast forward to 2019, when having a Marin Team Titanium from '95 - while it's a perfectly nice retro steed- left me wanting a more modern titanium ride as the Marin started to feel "dated" geometry-wise, etc. I started to save up some dough for a suitable, newer companion for my modest stable.

So off to evilbay where an used SUNN frame just popped up...for far too much money for my wallet, (always the goddamned funds, eh :facepalm: ) for a bare frame.

Luckily, the nice guy seller who is also a French bike shop owner made himself accessible via e-mail and I'd sent him an offer-asking message which was kindly replied - and a nicer deal was done on the spot.

Frame has patina, but nothing serious issue, looks unabused and is my size, too. During the last few years I was gathering parts for an " ultimate MTB buld " searching for good deals and this patient attitude has paid off as I had almost everything to make this frame into a complete ride.

Parts are a mish-mash, mainly XT & XTR, Avid Ultimate SD, some ti stuff, Manitou R7 last series with V-brake mounts, hopefully nothing flashy and with cheap & cheerful red anodised no-name stuff.

Try to upload pics soon, so bear with me!

Cheers,
Endre

Pics, but I can't get why it gets rotated, it seems OK when I save it on my PC :facepalm:

Attachments

• Morati2.jpg
    Morati2.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 1,398
  • aaamorati.jpg
    aaamorati.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,394
Some parts' pics (keep rotating, doh :facepalm: :

Attachments

• Morati stuff1.jpg
    Morati stuff1.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Morati stuff2.jpg
    Morati stuff2.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Morati stuff3.jpg
    Morati stuff3.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 1,383
Re:

Really looking forward to seeing this built up.

I have a real soft spot for Sunn and love this frame!

I had one of the Sunn Morati and they are a lovely ride. Sadly mine was a tad too small so I moved it on eventually. Yours should make a great build!

Love the look of that frame :cool:

I have the same frame Sunn 000 exact t i(HC1.3) built up as a SS with Morati ti forks & stem, loads of Chris King (headset/BB/hubs/SS cog) Kooka V levers & Machine Tech V-brakes. <7kg in 19" size.

Back