A' Lancienne

Had a great time on Sunday riding the Trois Lacs route. The forecast rain held off and there was even some sunshine. A lovely run up to Coniston with a tail wind, quick stop for a cake in the Institute there. First big hill Cote de Hawkshead was ok, it has some steeper sections where I was working hard but also some easier bits to recover on. Then down to Wray Castle and alongside Windermere on a traffic free path with great views across the lake. I had worried about riding the gravel track on my lightweight tyres, but they were fine. The next big climb, up to Graythwaite Hall was super tough, two sections with single arrows on the map, I was out of the saddle 100% effort most of the way up, was relieved to get to the top. Looked like some braver souls had even higher gears than me too and even saw a guy on a fixed gear taking it on. Then a spin down on a beautiful road to Esthwaite and up the hill to Grizedale - this was another hard pull, not too steep, just long and grinding. A quick whizz down the hill to Satterthwaite for another cake stop, with an excellent spread laid on. Then the final run home into a headwind, a couple of cheeky hills I hadn't seen on the map, before the final rough gravel climb up to the lighthouse.
Great mix of people out on the ride with all manner of different bikes. Rode along with a nice chap from Gloucestershire on a grey Claud Butler for a good while, had a chat about old bikes, didn't get chance to ask his name though, hello if you're reading this!

Attachments

• IMG_20160710_162147291.jpg
    IMG_20160710_162147291.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 188
The route was great, really enjoyed the gravel parts (but then I ride CX/Gravel a lot).

Totally missed the first feed stop, never saw a sign for it. The climb to Hawkshead was alright but got to Wray's castle 10 minutes before the checkpoint guy and had to wait around.

Climb to Graythwaite Hall nearly broke me!

Got lost a bit near the end and had to double back a few miles to get back on route.

I was on my 2 speed Mercian which was an optimistic choice to say the least but managed to ride everything apart from about 20 feet on the climb to the lighthouse where I just lost grip and couldn't restart.

Back