A Keith Coppell in silver

Re:

Hi All,

Loved this thread so decided to join up and say hi. I live in Melbourne, Australia these days but was brought up in Formby not far from Keith's shop in Maghull.

I had my frame built for me by Keith in 1985/86 if my memory is correct. I recall him being very patient during the 'fitting' session when he measured me up and took me through the options available to me. I had worked double shifts every weekend in one of the kitchens at the Scarisbrick hotel in Southport for what seemed to be forever to raise enough money to by the frame and parts for this bike.

Nearly 30 years on it's still with me, now in Melbourne and currently being prepared for the Melburn Roobaix ( http://fyxo.co/melburn-roobaix/) complete with its original Shimmy 600ex groupset and Hinault Turbo saddle.

@Paula : I'll post some pics and serial number later today, Your father also built bikes for my Dad and brother and no surprises, they have still kept their Coppells. Will try to get pics and serial numbers for them as well.

Kind Regards,

Nick

Re:

As promised here are some snaps. The extra wide tyres and Mavic clinchers are protection from the bluestone cobbles of the Roobaix next weekend. My GP4s acquired a bit of a wobble in transit from the UK to Aus and I still haven't got round to getting them trued.

This is serial number K1471.

Nick

Attachments

• DSC_5207.jpg
    DSC_5207.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 841
  • DSC_5225.jpg
    DSC_5225.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 841
  • DSC_5249.jpg
    DSC_5249.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 841
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 841
Nice tight looking frame. I still like the 80's fade paintwork! The Hinault Turbo looks well used and still cherished.

Re:

Hello Paula (Coppell)
I'm sorry to say that I missed the passing of your late Father, only met him once but knew a bit through Norman Rainford.
I am at this point in time helping to sort out the machines of a late club member friend, which includes a couple of tricycles. To my complete surprise I find that one was indeed made by your late father, maybe the only one ever made? It carry's the frame number K13** (last 2 digits withheld until I have permission to reveal them).
It is in an as found condition after being in a shed for over 10 years, but is clearly still a very nice, worthwhile machine. I date it as being made in the early 1980's, by the axle used (Longstaff). The workmanship is obvious to all who may see it, beautiful touches on the front brakes blew me away! I say this as someone who has been into trikes for nearly 40 years, so it is special.
Is there by any chance any dating material which could be provided for when this machine comes up for sale? I would personally love to own it, but my wife says that I have enough already (5 trikes, 3 bikes).
We intend to get this into good hands, it will not get chopped up for bits. Yours Mersey Mouth

Back