'98 Specialized Rockhopper - broken and cloned

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Had a much loved '98 Specialized Rockhopper that was a fantastic bike, loved it. Unfortunately made the error of stripping it and servicing it, at which point I found the seat stem to be utterly and hopelessly seized (tried everything except alien acid) and also the bottom bracket to be similarly trashed. After many months, decided to strip it and abandon it. Bummer ! Original build here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/my-1998-specialized-rockhopper.361397/
2nd mistake was to sell a lot of the components, based on fact that I'd already replaced with an Orange P7 and no more slots available in garage. Kept the Ritchey saddle though which is just perfect, though much gaffered now.
However, I loved that bike - so decided to build it afresh. Found the exact same frame on eBay and set about rebuilding Mk II - I even loved the twist grip gears (not everyones' cup of tea). And I've managed to get it bang on I think. Apart from a sticker and a scratch here and there it's a faithful copy. Apparently it's a 1998 (which I think the original was also).

2021-06-29 12.45.08-1.jpg

2021-06-29 12.45.40-1.jpg

2021-06-29 12.46.03-1.jpg

Cor, that's a bit nice isn't it! Always loved those cranks too - just simple and elegant . Can't quite tell from the pics if it's black or a kind of midnighty blue.

Never been a fan of Gripshift - though they look good, especially the X-Rays. The idea of it getting a bit sketchy, pulling up on the bars to lift the front end and getting a handful of gears rather than lift was always a little offputting.

Cor, that's a bit nice isn't it! Always loved those cranks too - just simple and elegant . Can't quite tell from the pics if it's black or a kind of midnighty blue.

Never been a fan of Gripshift - though they look good, especially the X-Rays. The idea of it getting a bit sketchy, pulling up on the bars to lift the front end and getting a handful of gears rather than lift was always a little offputting.
It's the Specialized Dark Blue, original colour. Never had a problem with the gripshifts, but then I don't do any knarly downhill stuff.

Definitely 98 and an excellent example. It looks great! I was riding mine earlier today and the springiness of the ride quality still amazes me. These 'nitanium' RockHoppers are unsung gems of the retrobiking world: not rare, not groundbreaking, not high end; just well thought-out, well made bikes that gave the mass market a quality ride for a reasonable sum. However, since you're on your second one, you scarcely need telling that.

Definitely 98 and an excellent example. It looks great! I was riding mine earlier today and the springiness of the ride quality still amazes me. These 'nitanium' RockHoppers are unsung gems of the retrobiking world: not rare, not groundbreaking, not high end; just well thought-out, well made bikes that gave the mass market a quality ride for a reasonable sum. However, since you're on your second one, you scarcely need telling that.
Absoloutey agree, this 98 is so good I made it twice. Also have a '97 Rockhopper Comp in Red.

Wow! Beautiful! What a time warp!
I remember mine looking exactly the same (except the tyres) when I bought it. I used it extensively for touring, as well as commuting and everything in between for the last sixteen years. It’s been all over the world, it had its dropout broken and repaired, most of the components were replaced, and its still going strong! I love it. It’s like a friend to me.
Here it is:

Attachments

• 9EB8B0DB-61DD-4632-93F5-21967834D835.jpeg
    9EB8B0DB-61DD-4632-93F5-21967834D835.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Back