My 1998 Specialized Rockhopper

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Recently acquired for a modest sum - about a third of the price of a BSO from the high street - something I can never quite get my head around! I think a bike like this is a work of art, a properly built, properly designed bike with great components and years and years of use ahead, unlike the £300 you can spend on something called a vortex or a velocity, which weighs 25kg and will last a year before going in the skip.

Attachments

• Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 1.jpg
    Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,424
  • Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 2.jpg
    Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 2.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 3.jpg
    Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 3.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,422
cycletothesea":2604bb6k said:
Recently acquired for a modest sum - about a third of the price of a BSO from the high street - something I can never quite get my head around! I think a bike like this is a work of art, a properly built, properly designed bike with great components and years and years of use ahead, unlike the £300 you can spend on something called a vortex or a velocity, which weighs 25kg and will last a year before going in the skip.

Well, looks like someone getting the grasp of bangeronomics of retrobikes...nice one btw, is it made from Ritchey's so called "Nitanium" tubing? :cool: :D

Re:

I had a 97 nitanium Rockhopper I bought new. Didn't have it long as kept getting bored and wanted something new! :D

Been loving this bike for over a year now, can't get over how great it is to look at and ride. Every time I look online at the latest adventure/cyclocross steel bikepacking bikes, I just look back at this and put my credit back in my wallet.

Back