'97 Marin Rift Zone

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've always wanted one of these since my first Polaris in '97, they certainly rode better than my LTS (runs for cover). Stories on here about the difficulties of matching the calipers to the earlier disk mount directed me towards the earlier rim brake frames and to take a chance on the swing arm cracking, what could possibly go wrong?

So I collected the frame and forks from Reluctant in September 2019 taking it to Wadsy later that day. After some tea we managed to unseize the forks finding that the elastomers were in fine condition, result!

Leaving the frame and forks together with all the parts to finish the build with Wadsy I planned to return to the UK this March or April to collect the finished bike. Then someone said there's a bit of a bug going around and so EasyJet cancelled my flight. :)

As a 1 X 9 retromod build and weighing a whisker under 28lbs including peddles how does it ride ? Well, no idea! At 75 it would be unwise for me to risk getting aboard a plane at the moment so the first ride will have to wait until the situation improves.

Any way here's the main parts of the build list.

Frame 1997 Marin Rift Zone 7.2 lb including that shock
Fork Manitou (forgotten but OE, will look at the
catalogue on here)
Headset Cane Creek
Stem Nuke Proof 70mm
Bars Nuke Proof 720mm
Shifter X9
Rear Mech X0
Chainset XTR 960
Chain XT
Outboard Bearings XT
Cassette XTR Changed from 12 - 34 to 11 - 36
Wheels Mavic Cross Lane UST
Front Tyre Nobby Nick,tubeless
Rear Tyre Micheline Race R, tubeless
Brake Levers Avid
Front Brake NOS XT
Rear Brake Avid
Seat pin and clamp Mavic OE
Saddle Bontrager (comfy)
Skewers Forget
Grips No Name Lock ons

Uu744tk-2.jpg

5-FMw-Yh-E-2.jpg

ATUBJln.jpg

Fcsv-ESW-2.jpg

IBGZDVJ-2.jpg

J6-Cq1-An-2.jpg

l-N5-Yn-WK-2.jpg

sn2P5rq.jpg

Thanks to Wadseyand Reluctant, plus KonaBen82 & JamieDyer for their Karma parts and Pipmeister for coffee before starting a long drive.

Back