'97 Kona U'hu Karma/Budget build FINISHED new pics 08/08/13

That's exactly where mine (a green '98 model) cracked too. I managed to get a new rear under warranty (amazingly the importers had one in stock 6 years on). I sold the frame straight after as I just didn't trust it... 3 years later I discovered this site and... ah what could have been.

Until I saw jamabikes' pictures I would have thought it nigh on impossible to re-weld that.

Shows how much I know.

I'm off to sit in the corner and think about what I have done ........

Been a long time coming but i just need to take some pics :roll:

I've had some new rear stay-ends made up on a lathe by a friend of my Dads who's into building rather nice Manx Norton race bikes.
They have been welded on after the old ones were removed (the new ones have extension plugs which go inside the seatstays).

I'm in the middle of stripping off the old laquer & decals off the front end prior to its respray, and i've already polished the rear to a mirror finish :)

I've been slowly collecting parts for it & just need some Bombers(which will be sprayed at the same time as the frame) & some Lx/Xt V brakes/levers.

Will post some pics ASAP ;)

Hers's the pics of progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6840.jpg
    IMG_6840.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,765
  • IMG_6841.jpg
    IMG_6841.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,765
  • IMG_6842.jpg
    IMG_6842.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,765
  • IMG_6843.jpg
    IMG_6843.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,765
Been a long time coming but have just dropped the frame and fork lowers off at the spray shop :)

As soon as i get it back i can re fit the bearings & measure up for shock mounts.

Oh and put up some pics

:D

Gruff":36ehov9q said:
Been a long time coming but have just dropped the frame and fork lowers off at the spray shop :)

As soon as i get it back i can re fit the bearings & measure up for shock mounts.

Oh and put up some pics

Pretty sure if you're gonna ride it it's gonna crack again if you haven't re-heattreated it.

Wasmachineman NL":2khvwhcb said:
Gruff":2khvwhcb said:

Oh and put up some pics

Pretty sure if you're gonna ride it it's gonna crack again if you haven't re-heattreated it.

Yep i am gonna ride it :)

They new rear stay ends were machined up out of solid billet so are not hollow ;)
Also they plug into the stays by about an inch. and were welded on by a VERY competent professional welder.

Re: '97 Kona U'hu Karma/Budget build Updated with pics 13/12

Just got the frame back from the sprayer..... only took 3 months but i will forgive him as he ended up in hospital with Pneumonia :shock:

I'll put some pics up at the weekend.

Back