97 King Kahuna final build questions

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

Im fast approaching the end of my KK build but have one or two Q's that id like answered before bolting the final bits on.

First is more of an opinion, Should I run my NOS XT thumbies, or perhaps more relevant Sram X-Ray gripshifts?
I like the clean look of a gripshift set up, and they are from the same era as the frame etc, but I still love the simplicity of XT thumbies.... and I simply cannot decide which to run.

Secondly, Im running a Middleburn Duo chainset and Raceface Signature BB (ISIS). Im used to BB's that have a flange that seats againt the BB shell, so am finding it strange to be setting the BB up with ''approx 1mm of thread exposed on either side'' as per instructions for a 68mm BB shell.
I've tightened up the BB as much as im comfortable to, there is more 'stiction' than I expected but again the instructions state this should dissapear as the BB is broken in, However, I have approx 2 - 3mm of thread exposed on each side of the shell.
My question is, Is this acceptable? or should I tighten it further to reach the 1mm recommendation? I've crudely measured the chainline and as far as I can tell its currently at 49 - 50mm so by my estimation just about right?

Im using Crank Bros eggbeater pedals, do I need to use a washer with the pedals when fitting them to protect the Middleburn cranks?
Im certain I used washers previously but I think they were supplied with a previous chainset to protect it. Does Middleburn require the same?

Finally, whats the best way of determining chain length?
I've always guestimated (with good results!) by just ensuring that the rear mech isnt overstretched whilst on big front big rear cogs. But is there a surefire way of getting the length correct?

Plenty of pics to follow once the build is complete :D

Gripshifts as I prefer them over thumbies.

No idea on the bottom bracket but chain line for duals should be to the middle of both rings ? (you would need to check this out as i've never run a double)

Mo idea on the pedals.

BIG BIG find nearest connecting point. Then add a couple of links. i.e. enough so it's not tight. That'll give you the lightest chain that you'll not snap in big big.
just searched and there is probably plenty of different ways on park tools
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

I'd go with thumbies over G/S but i've never had gripshift so whats that say :LOL:
As to the pedals,id go for a wide washer as wide as the crank will allow.otherwise it may just widen the damage area :?
Wee bit of blue threadlock might help too

Back