97’ Kona Hei Hei - Completed build

very nice, classic build, however, without spirit.
dont get me wrong, please, the bike looks perfect, however, still the same - XTR, Syncros, Crossmax, etc. Many bikes here are always about that.
What I miss is something different, something what you personally made here, not only complete the bike with "common" bike parts. It looks like no other parts exist then XTR, Syncros, etc. I know, these are the best for many, but missing what I call spirit, something custom, unusual, different.
Anyway, as I said, nice bike, classy, and expensive :)

:cool: very nice, not my size but pretty much sorted with the build. One question though, all that lush XTR, why did you not put XTR hubs on it to complete it?

Re: Re:

romanrinos":3vqtyf6p said:
A snapshot of the build completed during summer that follows on from the early 90s Joe Murray builds. Once again, as with the 92' Hei Hei it's been a bit of a challenge.

The Z2 Atom bombs, coming from California, undertook a full service upon arrival with springs upgraded to a factory set of Marzocchi heavy gauge.

Although the legs and stanchions were in fine condition, some minor leakage was occurring and a fresh set of seals were needed. A huge thanks to Ewan (Biffa), who reached out, and incredibly kindly donated me a NOS Z2 seal kit with bushings in order to complete a full overhaul, returning them back to riding fresh, smooth and supple, feeling like new.

A shorter control-tech stem was also sourced to quicken up the steering, with braking enhancement via some NOS ceramic Cross-Max rims, in lieu of previous Mavic 217 sunsets, paired with an XTR SM-M950 carbon booster and a fresh set of KoolStop pads.

Lastly, some spacers were installed to the BB shell to help improve the chain-line across to the smallest cog in using the M950 Octalink BB.

Well, she's a beaut. Just needs to get the tyre logo/valve alignment sorted.

I never got on with the RaceFace headsets so interested to see how it turns out here (along with the Octolink set-up). The shorter stem is a smart move although I wonder if a black one would complement the seat-post.

Will we be seeing this on a certain manufacturers site anytime soon?

Re:

very nice, classic build, however, without spirit.
dont get me wrong, please, the bike looks perfect, however, still the same - XTR, Syncros, Crossmax, etc. Many bikes here are always about that.
What I miss is something different, something what you personally made here, not only complete the bike with "common" bike parts. It looks like no other parts exist then XTR, Syncros, etc. I know, these are the best for many, but missing what I call spirit, something custom, unusual, different.
Anyway, as I said, nice bike, classy, and expensive :)

Thanks, I understand your comment, but I'm not into jazzy builds.

Expense is a relative and there is nothing particularly rare about any of the components. Value is gained when the overall worth through function becomes greater than the sum of it's parts and there is beauty alone in that. It's a rider, not a showgirl.

Unlike M900, bargains on M950 XTR can still be had if you spend time looking hard enough.

mk one":1igqar7y said:
:cool: very nice, not my size but pretty much sorted with the build. One question though, all that lush XTR, why did you not put XTR hubs on it to complete it?

Thanks Mark! It's a good question and well spotted that they are missing!

I actually had some for the build, which were sourced for the Mavic sunsets to 'lift' overall appearance. Unfortunately, I continually got punctures on the trails with them, due to the slender wall thickness and got sick of it. So I swapped the rims out, for the wider CrossMax, which i've not yet regretted.

Well, she's a beaut. Just needs to get the tyre logo/valve alignment sorted.

I never got on with the RaceFace headsets so interested to see how it turns out here (along with the Octolink set-up). The shorter stem is a smart move although I wonder if a black one would complement the seat-post.

Will we be seeing this on a certain manufacturers site anytime soon?

Cheers, thanks again dude. I need to swap the tires back over to modern rubber, so will get that sorted!

To date, there's been no request from Kona despite their earlier comment. If they want to, I'll take some fresh pics on a better day. To my great surprise though, both the Hot and Hei Hei were doing the rounds on KonaBikesRussia Insta feed during last week and this week!

romanrinos":2lt5qerx said:
To date, there's been no request from Kona despite their earlier comment. If they want to, I'll take some fresh pics on a better day. To my great surprise though, both the Hot and Hei Hei were doing the rounds on KonaBikesRussia Insta feed during last week and this week!

Interesting - I'll check them out!

cbb":2lt5qerx said:
very nice, classic build, however, without spirit

This is a really odd thing to say. Surely it's a personal choice and representation of a vision the owner has. That is spirit!

Back