97’ Kona Hei Hei - Completed build

Re:

Well I got some inspiration from a few well informed build threads ;-)

The forks actually came from a sale offering on Pink Bike. Have been looking for best part of a year for these. Unfortunately I didn’t get much change out of Mark in the States, as he was also sold out of anything shiny metallic resembling a Z2 atom.

According to the Californian seller, i bought them from (very nice chap who also emailed me service instructions) said he’d installed an extension kit on these to achieve 80mm travel without adjustment to overall stand-height. Will see how it looks with the new stiff strings whether that's true!

Re: 97’ Kona Hei Hei

romanrinos":3qth1wzq said:
Build stash
Wow Sándor, that is an excellent collection of components for a 1997 Hei Hei. This build is going to look top-notch :cool: .

Did you decide to go with Smoke and Dart, and have you sorted out a choice of wheels?

Pip

romanrinos":2xfkrkms said:
Build stash

Nothing to see here, move along.

<grabs stash runs off>

Interesting you're going with the octolink BB and cranks. I've not heard good things but I'm curious how they'll fair especially as they always seem to get scuffed and tatty quickly.

Re:

Wow Sándor, that is an excellent collection of components for a 1997 Hei Hei. This build is going to look top-notch :cool: .

Did you decide to go with Smoke and Dart, and have you sorted out a choice of wheels?

Thanks Pip. My favourite are the Porcipaws!

Have managed to secure a fresh set of Lite S Michelin Wildgrippers or pairing with a white pair of Panaracer Dart / Smoke for Summer that I also have stored away.

Interesting you're going with the octolink BB and cranks. I've not heard good things but I'm curious how they'll fair especially as they always seem to get scuffed and tatty quickly.

Yep, seen the mixed reviews, but they came up for sale as a honest sum as opposed to the crazy price elsewhere, so decided to go for them. If well maintained, they should last, and they'll be light. I'll use crank boots on them for the rougher trails if you want to buy them when I'm done! ;)

Attachments

• 57561169_821699611520216_2849238504817295360_n.jpg
    57561169_821699611520216_2849238504817295360_n.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 478

Blank canvas

>Cuts zip tie<

Attachments

• IMG_0855_Hei Hei On A Stand.jpg
    IMG_0855_Hei Hei On A Stand.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 418
Re:

Well I'm aroused. And I've just noticed she's got 98 cable routing so I guess she was made in the second half of the production run.

Yes indeed featuring the 3-stripes. Bottom bracket now out which was a lump of junk.

Looking forward to testing the Z2s which have been internally intensively cleaned.

Re:

A snapshot of the build completed during summer that follows on from the early 90s Joe Murray builds. Once again, as with the 92' Hei Hei it's been a bit of a challenge.

The Z2 Atom bombs, coming from California, undertook a full service upon arrival with springs upgraded to a factory set of Marzocchi heavy gauge.

Although the legs and stanchions were in fine condition, some minor leakage was occurring and a fresh set of seals were needed. A huge thanks to Ewan (Biffa), who reached out, and incredibly kindly donated me a NOS Z2 seal kit with bushings in order to complete a full overhaul, returning them back to riding fresh, smooth and supple, feeling like new.

A shorter control-tech stem was also sourced to quicken up the steering, with braking enhancement via some NOS ceramic Cross-Max rims, in lieu of previous Mavic 217 sunsets, paired with an XTR SM-M950 carbon booster and a fresh set of KoolStop pads.

Lastly, some spacers were installed to the BB shell to help improve the chain-line across to the smallest cog in using the M950 Octalink BB.

Attachments

• Hei Hei 97 Side angle.jpg
    Hei Hei 97 Side angle.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Hei Hei 97 SM-M950 Booster.jpg
    Hei Hei 97 SM-M950 Booster.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 190
  • Hei Hei 97 CrossMax.jpg
    Hei Hei 97 CrossMax.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Hei Hei 97 Side_Full XTR M950.jpg
    Hei Hei 97 Side_Full XTR M950.jpg