'96 Stumpy A1 FS (19") fork replacement

inakaboy

Retro Newbie
Right. To make a long story short, I've come into a '96 Stumpy A1 FS. It was politely advertised as "needs some work", however when it arrived they had simply spelled "completely destroyed" incorrectly. Interestingly, while the break system is shot, cranks a little rusty, the frame is in great shape considering whatever (Death Star trash compactor?) was done to the rest. The original Rock Shox Quadra 21R were replaced with some randomshocks that are also, as expected, toast.

I've got parts and can pick up used bits to finish off rebuilding the break system, so I thought I'd just pick up a compatible fork. I don't need suspension, so a rigid fork is fine too. It definitely wants threadless 1" 1/8 and the head tube measures something like 12mm. Simple I thought until I started trolling used bike part auctions/shops locally. The measurements listed there were all over the place. I realize people were randomly submitting measurements for a) just the steerer tube b) the entire length of the fork.

If I pick up a fork that has the correct diameter and steering tube length yet is shorter (in total length) than the current 56cm randomshocks, I assume that I'll then end up riding at a downward slope resulting in my mockery by urchin children and anyone else with two twits of sense.

So, how do I go about finding a fork that I can use? I assume there are enough Stumpy fans here that someone might be able to recommend something close (I can borrow a hacksaw, I guess..)

Back