'94 Explosif (18")

Re: Re:

fattiman":266ht3tp said:
Shame about the dent at the bottom of seat tube!

And is that a crack in the rear drop out? It's a very pronounced line.

Either way, it's in a bit of a state.

Re: Re:

Corduroyboy":38u8z87n said:
Can you see any in pic 10?

i can see them more clearly in the pic from the drive side.

I pic 10 i'm sure I can see two very faint ribs by the head tube. The 1st rib is just under the top rust spot on the downtube/head tube weld and the 2nd rib is above the same rust spot.

They are very faint on the none drive side and look more like blue biro marks.

Re:

Corduroyboy":d664b3o0 said:
Can you see any in pic 10?

I too can just see them in pic 10, very feint lines with no perceivable depth and nowhere near as pronounced as the albeit already feint looking ones on the drive side, again I really think there is some light trickery going on here, a bit like in the catalogue pic where they look non existent beneath the paint.

al-onestare":d664b3o0 said:
fattiman":d664b3o0 said:
Shame about the dent at the bottom of seat tube!

And is that a crack in the rear drop out? It's a very pronounced line.

Either way, it's in a bit of a state.

I don't believe there to be a dent at the base of the seat tube, more a reflection of the crank against the flat tube profile.

We must remember that this was the first year Kona deviated from a full Tange Prestige Concept tubeset in favour of a custom set comprising of Prestige, Prestige Concept and Ultrastrong, with each tube selected for their individual characteristics.

Kona only used the Ultrastrong on the down tube iirc, and continued to use Prestige Concept for the seat tube as it gives a stiffer bottom bracket thanks to the flaring at the B/B intersection (My '90 has exactly the same) which if unaware is why it looks dented/flattened/deformed.

It's easiest to see on the '93 Kilauea which utilises the full Concept tubeset.

Looking at the dropout you could be right Al, But to my eyes it looks sound to me. There is definitely a mark but looks to be superficial, almost like the edge of lacquer from where the paint has been damaged and grime has accumulated.... But I could be wrong so don't hold me to that :roll:

Personally, If I wasn't going to be in Vancouver next week I'd put a bid in as I think it looks to be a sound survivor worthy of a bit of TLC (It's a dent free '94 Explosif! :shock: ), I might still try my luck yet if I can sort the logistics :)

Attachments

• kona_retro_1993_kilauea_146.jpg
    kona_retro_1993_kilauea_146.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 440
Re:

Wow...I haven't been witness to such an in depth discussion about ribs since our last barbecue

I'd have to agree with Rampage, if the ribbing was there it would be more obvious. Otherwise it has a very thick coat of paint. Also, it is not unheard of for a '94 Explosif to not have the ribbed downtube. There have been a few examples up for sale recently. Seem to recall reading somewhere there were 2 forms of Ultimate tubes, the other being Superlight. Perhaps someone with more knowledge and can shed some light.

Anyways, regarding this particular bike, when in doubt go straight to the source. I have PM'd the seller asking about "ribbed tubing". Whether he replies or regards me as some sort of nut and ignores the question, only time will tell.

Back