'94, erm '92..., well '93 Rocky Mountain Cirrus rebuild

While (re)building the wheels, I was also chasing parts for the Rock Shox. Fortunately, a correctly sized 200mm 1 1/8" threaded steerer/crown for Mag 21 (though a later model) surfaced on eBay. The canti bosses were obtained from Bikemarkt.de and the right brace and damping adjuster knob's screws were available from @PeteC. Thanks!

P1010137.JPG
P1010136.JPG

Last edited:
Great read so far, and wow 1000km for fetching it, my GF thought I was nuts driving 250km. This bike seems to have landed in the right hands!

Introduced as "the ultimate downhill formula" in '92 Rocky Mountain catalogue, my Cirrus couldn't settle for the mere 46mm travel of the Mag 21. The extra 14mm provided by the "long travel" kit were absolutely mandatory :LOL:

P1010131.JPG

Installation instructions were hassle-free.

P1010135.JPG

Servicing the Mag 21, a little bit less, but conversion to 60mm travel eventually completed successfully.

P1010139.JPG
P1010142.JPG
P1010143.JPG
P1010144.JPG
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:
With the essential components readily available, it was time for an initial roundup. The head set was press-fitted, the Mag 21 installed, as was the stem. The front wheel was re-laced with the Syncros Hardcore hub whereas the rear wheel was completely new. Waiting for better, the wheels were quickly fitted with a pair of worn Michelin Wildgripper tires I had at hand. With its seatpost quick release, replaced front derailleur and big ring in place, my Cirrus was starting to take shape :)

IMG_0207.jpg

Last edited:
While Googling for the seatpost, I was ready to once again hit a long gone eBay ad. Much to my surprise, I was redirected to an online reseller here in France, with some interesting parts for sale. But "the one" for me was a NOS 2nd gen. Syncros Propost 30.4 x 330mm, the perfect match for my Cirrus! Sometimes, miracles occur even though the "Syncros" painting at the back of the seatpost is barely noticeable nowadays.

P1010437.JPG
P1010439.JPG

Last edited:
Miracles always come in pairs. I had just bought the Syncros Propost from the French reseller when the first owner of my Cirrus contacted me. While he was tidying the cellar, he stumbled across the original seatpost and proposed to send it to me for an interesting price. This I couldn't refused. A few days later, I was the happy owner of a 3rd gen. Syncros Propost 30.4 x 425mm.

P1010690.JPG
P1010694.JPG

3rd gen. Proposts were introduced in 1994, so my Cirrus may have been built this year in the end. See the dilemma? Should I rebuild everything with components from 1994? Well, I've already gathered too much things from 1992-93 to restart from scratch. And since I'm also working on yet another '94 bike rebuild, I opted to go on with the initial plans. I'm sure I'll find this '94 Propost some other use ;)

Update Nov. 2, 2018: The first owner of my Cirrus informed me that the original Syncros seatpost has cracked and was replaced by this 3rd gen. Propost. He thinks that I'm right with 1993 for the original build (p. 5).

Last edited:
Some time later, an uncut/undamaged Syncros Flatbar surfaced on Marktplaats. Even though the painting faded out, one can still decipher "Syncros" and "Heat Treated 7075-T78" with the right angle and light. In the meantime, I already found new ODI Attack grips and used XT shifters in great condition.

P1010347.JPG

Shimano Rapidfires were (and still are) my all-time favorites. I quite don't understand how the Rapidfires Plus are thought as a superior design. Having to handle the gears with the index finger leads to a more lose grab of the handlebar (well, the thumbies were even worse) whereas the handlebar is still firmly grabbed in all circumstances with the Rapidfires, the thumb always being under the handlebar, even when activating the upper shifter. Did I already told you that I opted for the ST-M092 shifters over the ST-M095 ones that were also available in the '93 Shimano catalogue? Not to add that the Cirrus is my only bike with Rapidfire shifters; all the others sport Rapidfire Plus(-like) ones :rolleyes:

P1010339.JPG
P1010350.JPG
P1010352.JPG

Last edited:
The original Velo-made saddle with Shoulder Holder was found in the UK in a Rocky Mountain garage lot also including Rocky Mountain-branded stem, handlebar and seatpost in 30.4mm, so probably coming from an Expérience MTB. The leather of the saddle didn't have any bad scuffs nor scratches, but was probably exposed for years to the lovely weather of Great Britain ;) I tried to do my best with shoe polish to restore it but it'll probably take another couple years of polishing to make it looks like as how it was manufactured in November 1991. If you know other restoration techniques, please let me know. Some day, I may replace it with something more high-end.

P1010415.JPG
P1010416.JPG
P1010419.JPG
P1010421.JPG

Update Nov. 10, 2019: Now replaced with a lighter '93 Selle Italia Flite Transalp (p. 5).

Last edited:
Shimano BR-M734 canti brakeset with NOS 6mm oversize MT-092 cables matching the ST-M092 Servo Wave SLR Plus brake levers weren't that difficult to locate.

IMG_0388.jpg

Update May. 2, 2021: Shimano B/82 cable hanger is wrong for front brakeset. Now replaced by Shimano A/73 (p. 6).

IMG_0385.jpg

Update Nov. 10, 2018: "Incorrect" brake pads for BR-M737 canti brakeset were fitted. They have been replaced by "correct" Shimano Deore XT M System brake shoes, suitable for both the BR-M734 and BR-M650 canti brakesets (p. 5).

Last edited:
Back