93 OCLV weightweenie Project *Latest weigh-in pg. 22*

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project *Shedding more weight*

My_Teenage_Self":3ux7ltxb said:
Baulz":3ux7ltxb said:
Try KCNC foam grips. They are skinnier and a denser material, oh and they are 15g/pair.

Hmmm... not retro though... I have a plan on some old grips that should be the same weight as the WCS :)

Titec made the same grips in the 90's if you can find a pair.

This post is primarily a big fat 'Thanks Bud!' to PipMeister, who, being an utter gentleman, offered me something that he bought new in the 90s, at the Cycle Show Olympia, from the Stif stand.

I hoped I'd be able to fit it over the weekend and have a weigh-in, but;

1) I couldn't get hold of the calibrated scales
2) bought a bike for my old Mum, and fixed that up

Regardless, I'm still super-excited about... this...

Woop!

I thought the silver cogs were Ti, but a BETTER magnet revealed they were steel. Crazy light!! Thanks again Pip!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0933 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_0933 - Edited.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 881

Late to the thread.... just looking for a good beach read :cool:

Peachy!":2tais06x said:
Late to the thread.... just looking for a good beach read :cool:

It’s a great read - especially the minor “ tête-à-tête“ at the beginning over the feasibility of being under 20lbs

Re:

My_Teenage_Self":275fdu5g said:
klasse":275fdu5g said:
What are you doing for cassette?

Tough one. I didn't want to use any Shimano, but it'll probably be a 737 at about 250g. Just can't afford goldtec or SRP/Tioga (yet...)

Okay, it's arrogant quoting myself, but this did make me laugh.

The trek *HAD* a Tioga Ti cassette, Currently wears a m737, and will shortly be fitted with a Goldtec.

Face. Palm.

Love this thread and the bike! Also love the fact that it’s strictly period correctness.

One suggestion if you still want to shave a few grams: alloy crank bolts maybe? You already have the cranks settled on the bb axle so aluminium bolts will keep them there no problem.

Konsta":3v8ruh74 said:
Love this thread and the bike! Also love the fact that it’s strictly period correctness.

One suggestion if you still want to shave a few grams: alloy crank bolts maybe?

Thanks Bud, Appreciate it!

My_Teenage_Self":3v8ruh74 said:

Got these in the post today... I have a set of black anodised SRP crank bolts, but don't think I could ever trust alu crank bolts...? I wouldn't normally bother with exotic bolts, but I can't bring myself to fit the black plastic and steel shimano cranks bolts to middleburn cranks!

MMMMmmmmmmm... Royce...

And I think RetroSpud might have something to say about Aluminium crank bolts too...? I'm not against alu bolts in general, but I don't think they have a place holding your cranks on.

Back