93 Manitou FS.....In need of love

Could you expand on your seatpost renovation please?
Is that a pot of Humbrol I spy?

How are you polishing the frame?
On the chainstay - if you had a hacksaw frame and a means of attaching a suitable cloth - would that work?
Or a smallish bottle brush - with a cloth round it? The bottle brush might clamp into the chuck of an electric screwdriver/drill - and would be a little flexible too?

Push a cloth through the hole and work it back and forth holding either end of the rolled up cloth. Obviously with some metal polish in place.

Push a cloth through the hole and work it back and forth holding either end of the rolled up cloth. Obviously with some metal polish in place.
I've tried that method...not enough force and abrasiveness...probably need some Scotchbrite strips or some such

Could you expand on your seatpost renovation please?
Is that a pot of Humbrol I spy?

How are you polishing the frame?
With regard to the seatpost, I just disassembled it, cleaned each component. Replaced the very rusty machine head bolt with a stainless replacement touched up the scratches with the Humbrol below which is the closest colour match I can find...it's not perfect but a damn site better than before. 20230326_210633.jpg

With regard to the frame polishing, I'm using brown and blue compound with either my bench polisher or my Dremel with small felt wheels. The previous owner had made a bit of a mess of removing the hard anodising and corrosion and there are lots of patches left which require Scotchbrite wheels in the Dremel to remove before compounding. After the blue I use MAAS polish and then once the decals are applied I will wax it. It has taken many hours over the last few years and I really have to be in the mood to do it. Hence the length of time the project is taking.

Doesn’t that MAAS polish make your work shop smell like a French tarts boudoir….

At least Carplan T-Cut just stinks and comes with the added benefit that it keeps the women at bay and the inevitable questions like are those frames and wheels breeding as I swear there’s more in here than last week

Doesn’t that MAAS polish make your work shop smell like a French tarts boudoir….

At least Carplan T-Cut just stinks and comes with the added benefit that it keeps the women at bay and the inevitable questions like are those frames and wheels breeding as I swear there’s more in here than last week
Lovely to hear from you Captn Spud...As you know I am a bit of a "Bike Tart" so MAAS is my cream of choice😍
And...what Frames...what wheels? Nothing to see (well as far as the other half is concerned)....you should see what's in the pipeline...I'm really setting myself up for a backlash😉

Back