93/4 JP Morgen

Re: Re:

al":g4uvk9j7 said:
My LBS 'The Cycle Centre Penzance' has had me as a customer for 20 years so are well used to my bikes by now.

That shop takes me back, I used to drool over the Diamond Backs and MuddyFoxes when it used to be in Bread Street, I even just about remember the shop when it was in Mousehole selling BMXs, early / mid 80s...

I don't suppose Dave (can't remember last name) is still running it?

My interests haven't progressed much over the years. Oh well :cool:

narcotitlan":n1f5zrja said:
al":n1f5zrja said:
My LBS 'The Cycle Centre Penzance' has had me as a customer for 20 years so are well used to my bikes by now.

I even just about remember the shop when it was in Mousehole selling BMXs, early / mid 80s...

Just come back from holiday down there and Mousehole has about 5 shops and one of those is a news agent come post office the rest sell either tat or works of art ....sadly never saw a bike shop

Good to know Al's not alone in this world with his love for Morgans

Retro Spud":c81gs3if said:
Just come back from holiday down there and Mousehole has about 5 shops and one of those is a news agent come post office the rest sell either tat or works of art ....sadly never saw a bike shop

'twas almost 35 years ago mate, when cornishmen planted cabbages instead of holiday bungalows, and Thatcher was still only a bad dream for the miners.

And JP Morgans could still be found grazing throughout the land*

*Admittedly this last memory is somewhat hazy

narcotitlan":31lbin2o said:
al":31lbin2o said:

That shop takes me back, I used to drool over the Diamond Backs and MuddyFoxes when it used to be in Bread Street, I even just about remember the shop when it was in Mousehole selling BMXs, early / mid 80s...

My interests haven't progressed much over the years. Oh well :cool:

Dave Harvey... he retired around ten years ago, I was almost the owner of the shop after it had moved to New St, Penzance, but just couldn't come to an agreement on a few things! Dave's still doing well and is enjoying his retirement, great bloke.

Yes he started in Mousehole in early 80's selling BMX's and was involved in bringing racing to the UK and had a good shop team.

Great you still remember the Bread St shop, spent most of my life in there, big Marin fan back in the day. A link to the old days is Ian 'Bunny' Warren my good mate who still wrenches in the shop, great mechanic and proper old school... fantastic wheel builder too.

al.

Nice to hear about Dave, I remember going on a couple of rides with him and a group of us in the mid 90s, did some tree planting in mid Cornwall with him on another occasion

Good luck with the build btw!

narcotitlan":3ij76xqd said:
Nice to hear about Dave, I remember going on a couple of rides with him and a group of us in the mid 90s, did some tree planting in mid Cornwall with him on another occasion

Good luck with the build btw!

Cheers!

The bike's been finished for a couple of months now.

al.

Re:

Update on the JP Morgen is I've donated the bike along with an Sbike cromo frameset to The Mountainbiike Museum in Arnhem, Holland.

I'll miss the old thing, although I'm planning on my collection, for what it is, to be a half a dozen riders. We'll see how that works out for me.

Saying that, the missus isn't convinced!

al.

Back