92 Raleigh Dyna-Tech SS conversion

whutn18885

Dirt Disciple
SS Raleigh Dyna-Sentinal

So I bought a Raleigh Dyna-Tech Sentinel from the classifieds a few months ago – The chap I bought it from had it from new and had only upgraded the forks but he still had the originals wrapped in bubblewrap.

When I collected it:

I wanted something super simple and reliable and given that my commute is basically flat single speed was the way to g. It keeps me on my toes and is bomb-proof reliable. I made some sensible modern changes but kept everything so should I ever feel the need I can take it back to stock.

It ain't pretty but it runs like a dream

The new changes:

Headset – NOS Tioga headset with upgraded sealed bearing races
Chainset – Converted to single speed using the 48t big ring
SS Conversion – Superstar components green spacer kit / SS Chain tensioner
20t Sprocket – Mate with CNC machines knocked up a stainless steel 20t sprocket
Tyres – Schwalbe City Jet 1.95 (comfy and very resistant to punctures)
Stem – Alloy 90mm stem
Grips – Generic green/Black lock-on
Bars – Charge Straw 480mm flat bar with bullet style end caps
Brakes / Pads – Avid Single Digit 5 ‘V’ brakes / XLC triple compound pads
Brake Levers – Shimano Alivio 2 finger V brake levers
Brake Boosters – Tioga green boosters

It’s geared as a 48:20 which is a nice 16-18mph at a steady cadence. I will be getting some new wheels soon as the Rigida Laser 400 rim surface are looking fairly worn after 20 odd years of use ! They still run straight and true tho

Added an Oxford pannier rack with water-resistant pannier bag along with BTwin computer / 1500L XL rechargeable front light and Leyne Zecto Drive USB rear light.

It’s now about as simple and reliable as I could make it and in nearly 6 months it’s not missed a beat – No noises from mechs, No squeaking brakes, No batteries for lights and only 2 punctures.

I was born and raised only a few miles from the original Raleigh factory in Nottingham – So my bike has come home.

P.s I want to try doing some light XC riding (flat no hills) anyone know if 2.35 tyres will fit ?

Back