'91 GT Zaskar

Re:

I think the issue with welding something on to the seat post would be that the steel has a higher melting point than the Alu, so would either in effect heat treat the frame again, or bond the post to the frame.

Re:

I was thinking about the freezing kits. Do they need water inside them to work though? Ive only seen the type used by plumbers.

I'm tempted to try the heating up approach, as I don't think it would need a lot of heat to break the seal which I guess is caused by aluminium oxide build up?

Re:

What about using ammonia,i seen one on YouTube (think he's called the bike man) he tried everything,hairdryer,brute force etc to free the post. In the end he put drops of ammonia between the seat tube and the post and eventually the post came out.

Re: Re:

Spanky22b":2dguf0qh said:
What about using ammonia,i seen one on YouTube (think he's called the bike man) he tried everything,hairdryer,brute force etc to free the post. In the end he put drops of ammonia between the seat tube and the post and eventually the post came out.
but theres not enough post showing to grip hold of, unless a smaller post is welded into the original one like i suggested previously :?

Usually this would be the end of this frame's life, but being an early zaskar that im quite find of i say keep trying :D

Re:

Oh I will keep trying.

I've seen the guy your talking about. He offers a service to remove any seat post for about £50 plus postage etc. if all else falls I'll be calling him up!

And thank you for all the suggestions. It's strange that there are soooo many threads on removing a post from a steel bike, but nothing on removing one from an Aluminium one. Is it a not very common problem?

Re:

Thanks for the link - very interesting. I think that would only work on steel framed bikes though, as its really relying on the aluminium contracting quicker than the steel. Is that correct?

Re:

awesome bike, yes it's rare to see them complete with their parts, yours having the original form and stem - that's a big bonus

Back