90's Raleigh Amazon

After a long break/being away/not doing anything to my bike I did do a little overhaul a few days ago.

New bits include:
Deore LX rear mech, it came with the spring on wrong? However, I've no idea how to put in on right. Any tricks??

Answer Taperlite 2 handlebar, really tidy except rubbed off logos. Soooo light compare to what I'm used to. Will test it out and see if like straight bars.

Control Stem, very tatty and needs a clean but looks don't bother me too much. Has definitely been left outside for a while, I saved it from a scrap pile together with the bars. It's missing the top cap but again, lighter than what I've got now!

I will post an update tomorrow of the whole bike as a lot changed since the last time I showed you. Currently, it's spotting Shimano 'A' rear mech, Deore LX front mech and a front wheel with Deore LX Parallax hub and a Mavic rim.

Attachments

• IMG_2296FORUM.jpg
    IMG_2296FORUM.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_2299forum.jpg
    IMG_2299forum.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_2300forum.jpg
    IMG_2300forum.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 696
The circlip on the bolt removes like this:

derailleur2.jpg

And you can then spin the washer-bit round 180 degrees and replace the circlip.

Right, photos taken with my phone so not the best but will give you an idea. The bike is filthy as it's used everyday in any weather. I'm a brave boy :mrgreen:

Updates since the first post are:
-Front wheel: Deore LX Parallax 100 hub laced onto a Mavic 238 rim with stainless spokes.
-Control stem + Answer Taperlite2 handle bar with Tranz X horns (saved 530grams over the previous set up!!!) Pretty sure this came off a Marin.
-Sr Suntour cranks (chain rings are a little bigger than the previous as I was running out of gears) Came off a modenr-ish Diamondback.
-Shimano Deore LX front mech.
-Shimano 'A' rear mech.
-Period correct Raleigh Grips (actually pretty nice!)

I will give this stem a go as it's just over a 1cm longer and straight bars replaced a slight curve, might be too much of a stretch! It's amazing how much of a difference better spec gears make, so much snappier.

Plan is to do a conversion to 8 speed, now running 7 speed cassette with a spacer so just need an 8 speed cassette. With that I would like some more period correct shifters and brake levels, perhaps Deore thumbies? Pedals are terrible and slippy. Added mudguard and a bottle cage for usability, looking for a front guard too as today my shoes got splashed like hell!

Attachments

• IMG_9752.JPG
    IMG_9752.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_9753.JPG
    IMG_9753.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_9754.JPG
    IMG_9754.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_9755.JPG
    IMG_9755.JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_9757.JPG
    IMG_9757.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 680
Nice work, I always thought those punched way above their weight ride wise. ( I sold a LOT of those when I worked at Halfords back in the day :) )

Built my very first wheel! Shimano Deore XT hub, DT spokes and Mavic 117. it's nice and straight but i think it needs more tension, I did a test ride and it was all good but I will get someone more experienced to have a look.

The bike currently sits on a older type Deore LX and a Mavic rim on the front and the wheel I just built at the rear.

I ordered a new chain, will get an 8 speed cassette and the bottom bracket needs replacing. I measured the bb spindle length without taking the cracks off (I'm lazy sometimes) does 127mm sound about right?

Attachments

• IMG_02113.jpg
    IMG_02113.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_02095.jpg
    IMG_02095.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 640
Re:

Well done on an absolute bargain build. I enjoy reading the exotic builds but good to see your creativity!

An amazon was my first mtb. Cost me 190 quid and was the bike that got me hooked on off road. Rode anything I could with it and had tons of fun. Eventually the hanger snapped and I left it out the back of my parents on purpose so someone could make use of it! Was gone pretty quick. Seems a shame now but seeing yours is bringing back the memories.

I had an Amazon bitd , it was a heavy old bitch , but in the style of Raleigh mtb's was present to ride
I hacksawed thru the seat stay to see where the weight came from
It was solid bar
Question answered

Mike

retroyetiguy":3b3zrmmu said:
Great Job! Doesn't matter what bike you have just go out there and enjoy yourself :cool: .

Ohh don't worry I enjoy it ahhh

dyson":3b3zrmmu said:
Well done on an absolute bargain build. I enjoy reading the exotic builds but good to see your creativity!

An amazon was my first mtb. Cost me 190 quid and was the bike that got me hooked on off road. Rode anything I could with it and had tons of fun. Eventually the hanger snapped and I left it out the back of my parents on purpose so someone could make use of it! Was gone pretty quick. Seems a shame now but seeing yours is bringing back the memories.

Thank you! It takes a lot of time looking for stuff but if you want it you will find it as long as you don't mind things looking less than perfect. It's lovely hearing so many people having stories about an Amazon, and to be honest this is what got me into cycling as well though

mikee":3b3zrmmu said:
I had an Amazon bitd , it was a heavy old bitch , but in the style of Raleigh mtb's was present to ride
I hacksawed thru the seat stay to see where the weight came from
It was solid bar
Question answered

Mike

the frame is so bloody heavy..... desperately looking for something lighter as my wheels and other components are getting decent now they outbid the frame and fork.

That's the way to do it mate
You'll pick up a better frame for a few quid of here or an ads site
Then you start again
Lol

Hook line and sinker

Mike

Back