'87 Raleigh Montage

very nice bike, i recently aquired a 90's raleigh ascender MTB which looks very similar spec to this, it has the same mechs and brakes as yours (although its not reynolds framed, but the frame looks the same and is surprisingly light).

its interesting you mention the heavy handlebars. mine has the bullhorn bars fitted, they are very comfy and great to use but they are very heavy indeed. i have wondered about changing them for modern lightweight bullhorns but god knows what will fit!

Schwalbe city semi-slick 26 x 1.5 tyres work great on mine (even off-road, within reason), and are very light compared to the original raleigh tyres (which i think were made from lead!)

In the end, I didn't sell mine. I took it on a tour of Wales a few weeks back. It was superb!
I saw another for sale the other week and almost bought it...not sure why as I don't need two. Just thought it was agreat price for a great bike.
I put the Shwalbe City Slick on after recommendations here. Very good and no punctures yet. £20 for a pair from Amazon.

Back