'83 Ross Mt Whitney, Nexus 8 with roller brake

I bought this locally as an incomplete bike for $100.
Frame, fork, Deerhead components, loose wheels and hubs, bullmoose, no crank. Repop seatpost. M700 levers and lovely grips.
I've always had a thing for chrome bicycles.

496706-1668275175-253395.jpg

496706-1668275184-202808.jpg

I've also wanted to try an internally geared hub and found a new Nexus 8 mounted on a decent wheel.

Most of the small parts were included but I really wanted a matching roller brake. Tough to find in the US but a Rat Rod buddy in Poland had a used Inter 4 for a reasonable price so off we go!

IMG_1256.jpg

Did the usual strip, clean and lube, found this Deore crank and bear traps at the local Collective, Kool Stops for the front canti's.
IMG_2351.jpg
The front hub was a bit crunchy but I had a nice Weinmann wheel with an LX hub from a donor bike.

I couldn't get myself to install this grip shifter so I sported for a pricey Microshift.

IMG_1160.jpg

I put it all together this winter and it eventually quit snowing long enough for a test ride. Saweeeet! Shifts beautifully, stops NOW! I did go a little cheap on rubber with the Black Jacks because the parts total was getting out of hand.
I think the old nine-spring saddle looks good and is comfy.

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

I did shorten the chain and ditch the tensioner for now.
I love the looks of the bullmoose bars but it stretches me out pretty far and my old beat up wrists complain.
Searched for a solution but the 21.1 mm ID on the steerer doesn't offer options that I liked: BMX, 1.125 converter, old Schwinn etc. so they need to stay on the bike. Not sure about the rack.

Peace!

Attachments

• 496706-1668275189-244738.jpg
    496706-1668275189-244738.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 496706-1668275186-862383.jpg
    496706-1668275186-862383.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 17
Tough to find in the US but a Rat Rod buddy in Poland had a used Inter 4 for a reasonable price so off we go!
Sounds like Starnger... Nice build. I've never been able to get along with moose bars either. Cool, but lack that adjustability that the separate stem provides. Those deerhead derailleurs are like gold too, nice pieces for the stash

Sounds like Starnger... Nice build. I've never been able to get along with moose bars either. Cool, but lack that adjustability that the separate stem provides. Those deerhead derailleurs are like gold too, nice pieces for the stash
Yes, Sergey helped a lot sorting out parts and lube. I'm going to put one of his stickers somewhere on the bike.
Ever put together a IGH bike Matti?

Yes, Sergey helped a lot sorting out parts and lube. I'm going to put one of his stickers somewhere on the bike.
Ever put together a IGH bike Matti?
Not yet. I have most of the pieces for a build, waiting for the right frame and fork. I need to keep up with those sweet @Ingola builds. My "woods bike" will be built with an old Sturmey 3 speed without brake laced into an Araya. Rim brakes for me, gotta be able to backpedal

I bought this locally as an incomplete bike for $100.
Frame, fork, Deerhead components, loose wheels and hubs, bullmoose, no crank. Repop seatpost. M700 levers and lovely grips.
I've always had a thing for chrome bicycles.

View attachment 733205

View attachment 733207

I've also wanted to try an internally geared hub and found a new Nexus 8 mounted on a decent wheel.

Most of the small parts were included but I really wanted a matching roller brake. Tough to find in the US but a Rat Rod buddy in Poland had a used Inter 4 for a reasonable price so off we go!

View attachment 733212

Did the usual strip, clean and lube, found this Deore crank and bear traps at the local Collective, Kool Stops for the front canti's.
View attachment 733281
The front hub was a bit crunchy but I had a nice Weinmann wheel with an LX hub from a donor bike.

I couldn't get myself to install this grip shifter so I sported for a pricey Microshift.

View attachment 733214

I put it all together this winter and it eventually quit snowing long enough for a test ride. Saweeeet! Shifts beautifully, stops NOW! I did go a little cheap on rubber with the Black Jacks because the parts total was getting out of hand.
I think the old nine-spring saddle looks good and is comfy.

View attachment 733283

View attachment 733284

View attachment 733285

I did shorten the chain and ditch the tensioner for now.
I love the looks of the bullmoose bars but it stretches me out pretty far and my old beat up wrists complain.
Searched for a solution but the 21.1 mm ID on the steerer doesn't offer options that I liked: BMX, 1.125 converter, old Schwinn etc. so they need to stay on the bike. Not sure about the rack.

Peace!

Love it, still have regrets passing on the chrome Ross that was floating about here a while back

Back