'81 Claud Butler Colstar Yumeya/DuraAce #035210 FINISHED p16

Re: 1981 Claud Butler Colstar - Shimano 105 #035210 FINISHED-ish

Very nice, Like the Durace calipers. How do you get on with the pedals? I have a NOS set for the Raleigh, but have stuck with clip ins. I didn't like the look of the cleet bar and straps, must be a nightmare to get out of. I see you don't have straps fitted?

dwscrimshaw":3arx6w9t said:
Very nice, Like the Durace calipers. How do you get on with the pedals? I have a NOS set for the Raleigh, but have stuck with clip ins. I didn't like the look of the cleet bar and straps, must be a nightmare to get out of. I see you don't have straps fitted?

Ah yes.... a long long time ago I nearly drowned in a canal, underneath my bike, still clipped in. I was only in a few feet of water, but just couldn’t move. Fortunately a jogger helped me.

Anyway.... roll on twenty odd years and I still can’t bring myself to clip in.... I know things have moved on, but I’m happy wearing my slim flat Lonsdale boxing style trainers with old school toe clips and only occasionally using straps....

Re: 1981 Claud Butler Colstar - DuraAce #035210 FINISHED pg5

That confirms my view of those early ones, but yes I find the latest one better than straps. I have to say the only time I have had problems is with straps and the silly deep tread modern trainers have. I like the std SPD pedals on the lo-pro very easy to get in and out of. The Shimano ones are a bit more difficult, but I have panicked on occasion and just ripped my foot out to save going on the floor. Something I could never do when the straps caught.

Re: 1981 Claud Butler Colstar - DuraAce #035210 FINISHED pg5

Nice proper 16mile run out today on the Colstar... now I get what LGF has been banging on about, the 2x10 speed DuraAce shifting is sublime.....I’m ruined now, the rest of my road collection will just get the occasional dust off on their birthdays....

Attachments

• A0AE0234-E9A5-4E5D-96CB-95B3599DFE2E.jpeg
    A0AE0234-E9A5-4E5D-96CB-95B3599DFE2E.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 600
  • FA5E72B8-2610-4E4B-928E-D24844FF0EEB.jpeg
    FA5E72B8-2610-4E4B-928E-D24844FF0EEB.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 600

Peachy!":gkz0p4bz said:
Ah yes.... a long long time ago I nearly drowned in a canal, underneath my bike, still clipped in. I was only in a few feet of water, but just couldn’t move. Fortunately a jogger helped me.

Anyway.... roll on twenty odd years and I still can’t bring myself to clip in.... I know things have moved on, but I’m happy wearing my slim flat Lonsdale boxing style trainers with old school toe clips and only occasionally using straps....

I know things have moved on and I'm sure modern technology has made modern clipless pedals superb but old habits and fear of looking a pillock die hard. I can't say I've been in a canal due to clipping in, it was seeing a friend gracefully falling over sideways at the traffic light and almost doing the same for me so I'm exactly the same regarding trainers and toe clips/straps Chris, although substitute Lonsdale for Adidas.

Its also easier when you arrive at the pub / cafe (delete as applicable) as I found walking in shoes with clips on more than a little ungainly.

allenh":2m7kczip said:
Peachy!":2m7kczip said:

I know things have moved on and I'm sure modern technology has made modern clipless pedals superb but old habits and fear of looking a pillock die hard. I can't say I've been in a canal due to clipping in, it was seeing a friend gracefully falling over sideways at the traffic light and almost doing the same for me so I'm exactly the same regarding trainers and toe clips/straps Chris, although substitute Lonsdale for Adidas.

Its also easier when you arrive at the pub / cafe (delete as applicable) as I found walking in shoes with clips on more than a little ungainly.

:D :D :D I also find jumping off to walk that steep bit so much easier in trainers! :oops: :roll: :D :facepalm:

Peachy!":1vwvji0h said:
:D :D :D I also find jumping off to walk that steep bit so much easier in trainers! :oops: :roll: :D :facepalm:

Ha Ha, I couldn't possibly comment on that sort of situation.

Re:

Your machine is just the sort of bike I like. I have, eh-hem, too many steel bikes with 7800 kit and still find myself looking for another group set! Seriously though, if I could find another 7800 triple group I’d snap it up.

Re: Re:

peetee":1y7k5gxe said:
Your machine is just the sort of bike I like. I have, eh-hem, too many steel bikes with 7800 kit and still find myself looking for another group set! Seriously though, if I could find another 7800 triple group I’d snap it up.

It’s certainly been an eye opener, & I can see how it could easily become addictive...

Back