7 to 8 speed cassette... chain jumping in top gears, HELP!

Yep its that screw. If it didnt do much it could possibly be chain is a link too long i think.

...with the screw full out (the one facing rear, where the mech is screwed into the hanger of the frame) is there play/movement does it feel slack? Could be that the springs are knackered in the mech...If there isn't a "good action" the mech might need replacing. Alternatively if your chain is too long this may effect the tension on the mech...

Is the wheel seated in the frame OK?

Undo the cable to the mech, with the chain on big front, small back sprockets tighten the high limit screw on the rear mech until the chain just about wants to shift up a sprocket.

Pull the cable and make sure your shifter is in the correct high gear position, it is a 9 speed shifter isn't it?

Pull cable tight by hand and clamp into rear mech, with cable running straight where the bolt clamps it.

Loosen off the high limit screw on the rear mech and the cable will be at the correct tension with the chain on small sprocket. leave limit screw as should be to stop mech over shifting.

That should be about it, cable tension can be tweaked with the adjustment wheel thing at the mech or shifter.

Excuse if I'm telling you what you know, rear mech are usually easy it's front I find can be a pain.

I had taken 6 links out of the chain so not sure it's that (if anything I think it's now a tad short..)

Think I've sorted it... followed stewlewis tips and bingo!

I ended up putting it under full tension (biggest ring) then slightly releasing the bolt, allowing the cable to slip 5mm or so, then retightening and it worked a treat!

Thanks all for your help... I love this site!

Cheers
JP

Spoke too soon...

Now seems fine in rings 3, 4, and 8... 5's a bit clicky and 6/7 are a bit jumpy...

Should the rear mech have any side to side play in it where it mounts, it seems to have a bit.

It's a Shimano Deore LX (rescued from my deceased Clockwork c91...) probably a bit on the worn side... time to trawl the 'FOR SALE' section??

main.php

JP

Hmm one of my x9 mechs has a little side to side play but never been a problem.

Your jockeys look holy moly worn though!
Id suggest you do look for another mech. To have jockeys that worn and springs in good working order seems unlikely.

cyfa2809":1pjlzb5l said:
Your jockeys look holy moly worn though!
Id suggest you do look for another mech. To have jockeys that worn and springs in good working order seems unlikely.

Never even considered my jockeys would be a problem... can you get jockey slip?! On the basis of all this will invest in a new mech (or just the jockeys?...) actually, given your comment on likely similar wear of both, may bite the proverbial and shell out some hard earned on an appropriate mech...

Thanks again
JP

Looked down and saw something sticking off my chain... one of the links had popped open ~ can't really believe I missed this!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

main.php

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Will take it for a run tomorrow and see if it resolves my problem...

JP

Back