'69 Claud Butler Corridore Project

The Italian transmission only amounts to the single gear shifter and rear derailleur so I don't think that will break the bank!

PeachyPM":1gt3ht2k said:
Erskine":1gt3ht2k said:
Oh dear, that suddenly got expensive!
Seems that the blue over the white was not for blue steering head and seat tube panel but a respray over the white frame!
Not neccesarily, the green white and red are all non metalic, so maybe a good saving could be had spraying it yourself.
Its not as difficult to get a good finish as some think,

Here's a great thread by Allenh;
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=388995
Thanks for the plaudits Peachy and yes that would be a pretty simple enough finish to achieve and that frame is crying out to be done.

The panels on the original are not metallic but the ones on wilfh's resto are metallic, it doesn't actually make any difference difficulty wise but I would say as the lighter colour is the main colour I would do that first all over and then paint the panels on top, had it been the other way round I would have done the panels first and then masked them and painted the rest around them, and of course use white primer. When it's got all it's colour on t-cut it before you apply your decals and apply your top coat as this helps with the transitions between the colour bands.

The only other tip I can give with this is make sure the paint you mask is totally dry before applying any masking tape and then remove the masking tape as soon as you can, something like that would take me about 3 weekends as I'd wait a week between colours but the masking tape would be removed very carefully about 15 minutes after the paint went on otherwise the glue eats into the paint and it doesn't seem to matter how good quality the masking tape is.

Here's a couple I've done with coloured panels. The Dawes was a challenge to do because the red is coloured lacquer so the sequence was do the white bands, wait a bit, do the gold base everywhere else, wait a bit, do the black panel, wait some more, do the red lacquer top coat, wait some more, apply the decals and then apply a clear lacquer top coat over that. It was for my best friends 50th birthday present and took bloody ages but he was pleased with the result.

The Raleigh I did because I'd never seen a ladies one, all the real team frames I've seen have painted yellow and black panels so that's what I did but a lot of the repro's are decals so an easy spot.

And yes the Campag bits just keep watching on ebay and at cycle jumbles and they'll turn up for a sensible price sooner or later.

Attachments

• Ladies team.jpg
    Ladies team.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Marsh.jpg
    Marsh.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 434
Now youre just showing off! ;)

Love the ladies Team Raleigh.... great fun!

PeachyPM":132xiike said:

Just trying to prove it's really not that difficult, Oh and Mrs Allenh didn't want the ladies Team Raleigh after I'd finished it (too fast and not purple enough) so it got sold some time ago.

allenh":23m0lcdm said:
PeachyPM":23m0lcdm said:

Just trying to prove it's really not that difficult, Oh and Mrs Allenh didn't want the ladies Team Raleigh after I'd finished it (too fast and not purple enough) so it got sold some time ago.

What? I don't know, you work your fingers to the bone and where does it get you? :D :D :D :D :D riding beside a purple mixti (a nice one I should add) :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

I paint stripped the forks and gave them a light blasting to lift out the corrosion, they've come up quite well. I'm reluctant to blast the frame though, the tubing is so thin. I don't know how many coats of paint were on the forks but they feel lighter!

Attachments

• IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 421
PeachyPM":186wvcim said:
allenh":186wvcim said:
PeachyPM":186wvcim said:

What? I don't know, you work your fingers to the bone and where does it get you? :D :D :D :D :D riding beside a purple mixti (a nice one I should add) :xmas-big-grin:

I know, I did inform her she was an ungrateful mare (from out of punching range obviously :LOL: )

Re: Re:

Erskine":df95721l said:
I paint stripped the forks and gave them a light blasting to lift out the corrosion, they've come up quite well. I'm reluctant to blast the frame though, the tubing is so thin. I don't know how many coats of paint were on the forks but they feel lighter!

They've come up well, you'll get a nice finish on those. Finding someone who can do a chemical dip on the frame might be a safer way to get the paint off

Re: Re:

allenh":urkc2mhm said:
Erskine":urkc2mhm said:

They've come up well, you'll get a nice finish on those. Finding someone who can do a chemical dip on the frame might be a safer way to get the paint off

Try your local powder coaters or chrome guys. both will have the proper facilities.

My PC dude will dip and fine vapour blast then bake dry in the oven for £20! much cheaper than a bucket of nitromoors

Once I've finished paint stripping the frame, just got chainstays left to do, and inspected it properly, the plan is to throw some components on it and see how I like it to ride. It's 21 1/2" frame which is at the top end for me at 5'6", and with the very generous clearances it's a very tall 21 1/2". I want to be sure before I put more time and money into the restoration. If it's too big I'll sell it on.

Back