'69 Claud Butler Corridore Project

Re: Claud Butler Frame ID

Ok, going out on a limb here, I think the picture of the Olympic is exactly the same that is used in many catalogues going back through the sixties (its even used for the “Challenge” in 1966)
I haven’t seen that slightly different detailed fork crown on a late 60’s CB, so I think it might be a case of lazy publishing.

Could this be an Olympic Road? :?

Attachments

• 69OlympicRoad.jpg
    69OlympicRoad.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 428

It seems to match up to this, looking at the back catalogues on nkilgariff it appears the Olympic was a frame only product. So is this a bit of a score for £25?

Yup.... I’ve payed more for less!

Guessing it will be worth having a new brake bridge put on then and a proper enamel paint job. I've a pair of Nisi tubular rims I built on to large flange track hubs and an earlyish strong light crankset, got bars, stem, post and BB, and a single bar end shifter which would work well for a 3/4/5 speed freewheel.
Will need some old school brake levers and long drop calipers, a nice headset and a leather saddle. I suppose the key component is what rear derailleur.

It deserves Campag, but you could get away with a Hurret.
Whats wrong with the bridge?

PeachyPM":38zrrxwq said:

It's been very badly 'drilled out' to take recessed nut but gone all the way through. 'Drilled' is a bit of compliment actually. Brutally enlarged may be a better description.

I think you can get mortgages on Campag rear derailleurs nowadays.

Erskine":10go1hvr said:
PeachyPM":10go1hvr said:

It's been very badly 'drilled out' to take recessed nut but gone all the way through. 'Drilled' is a bit of compliment actually. Brutally enlarged may be a better description.

I think you can get mortgages on Campag rear derailleurs nowadays.

The long cage Hurret on my Super Coureur is smoother and more controlled than any 5 times the price similar period Campagnolo unit that I’ve ever owned.

If your getting it re-enamelled at Bob Jackson’s a new bridge won’t add too much to the bill.

Attachments

• F14F141D-FD6E-4C74-97AC-3E0A5F6813B9.jpeg
    F14F141D-FD6E-4C74-97AC-3E0A5F6813B9.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 417

Glad you’ve got it confirmed, Steve now runs H Lloyds and probably only has vinyls for it now.
Shame that chap stuck Shimano all over it, not my cup of tea to be honest. But different strokes and all that..... at least the frame was saved and painted to a high quality.

Also, I know some people go on about ‘proper Clauds’ As if Holdsworth didn’t make proper bikes!
Ok so some of the Holdsworth CB range became low rent, but this Olympic Road is right up there near the top.
Out of interest, see if you can accurately weigh the frame with absolutely nothing on it.

My Japanese Clements is full on Shimano groupsetitus. Which is only fitting really.
This one will be built with a proper mix of aesthetically pleasing retro sexual components, which might not be quite age appropriate but will be nice to look at!

Latest posts

Back