3, 4 & 5 Speed Sturmey Archer servicing

Great stuff Peter.

Are the clutch dogs a little damaged?

Re:

I can see what you’re looking at. That is just a little oil and dirt you’re seeing. Photo was taken before cleaning. They all look like new.

Re: Re:

petermwilliamson":18gp1auw said:
I can see what you’re looking at. That is just a little oil and dirt you’re seeing. Photo was taken before cleaning. They all look like new.

Cheers Peter, thats a relief. :shock:

Looking forward to your report.

Latest report recieved for the work carried out on the 3 speed AW and the 5 speed S5.1

Hub model
AW 1956
S5.1 1979

Reported fault/s
None. Service requested.

Description of work carried out
AW: Initial inspection found all gears operate. Some corrosion and wear to the left
hand ball cup and cone. L.h. bearings dry and badly pitted, the drive side doesn’t have
this problem. Swap ball cup with spare unit (supplied). New cone and bearings ftted.
Sprocket dust cap rusty and swapped with spare. Indicator adjuster screw slightly bent
but locknut seems to run up and down with no problem. No other problems.
S5.1: Initial inspection found all gears operate. After cleaning all parts are almost as
new. The unit has obviously seen very little use. Labyrinth seals lacking grease.
Internals re-lubricated with the correct grade oil on both hubs, cones, bearing and
labyrinth seals with grease. Everything adjusted to SA spec. All gears checked on both
hubs.

New parts ftted:
HSA101 – Cone new £4
HSA284 - Ball cage bearings new £2
HSL838 - 18T Sprocket - 1/8 Dished new old stock - £3.30
All bearings used are high quality grade 100 hardened chromium AISI 52100 steel.

Notes
The sprocket is dished and can be reversed to alter the chain line if required. The two
spaces can be moved also to make further adjustments.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but it was the best match for the search term...

Does any member in the Home Counties have a facility to remove a ball-race (RH drive cup - the one with the notches) and willing to take on the job? I have a good wheel with a ruined Sturmey Archer AW hub stuck in it and would like to get the innards out so I can rebuild... Over 500 taps of hammer and screwdriver have brought me no closer to undoing that sodding lock-ring...

DxMachina":yjw7nq5h said:

Does any member in the Home Counties have a facility to remove a ball-race (RH drive cup - the one with the notches) and willing to take on the job? I have a good wheel with a ruined Sturmey Archer AW hub stuck in it and would like to get the innards out so I can rebuild... Over 500 taps of hammer and screwdriver have brought me no closer to undoing that sodding lock-ring...

You could try e-mailing Peter (see his email link 3 posts up)

DxMachina":otaym3yg said:

Hi there. I haven't had one I couldn't undo as yet. Happy to take on the challenge.

Back