2x8 or 1x9 - any preference, and why?

That's good to know! I've been looking for NW chainrings though, and can't find any in 5 hole 110 BCD :( So I need either a 4 arm spider for an XT M750 crank, or a new set of cranks... but I suppose I could try with the chainrings I have to start, and see if I like it...

Im on 2x9 on a 3x9 with X9

That make sense :LOL:

Someone selling a 4 arm single ring adaptor on here :? i think its the DH one for the XT/XTR M739/M950/1 Ive one here if you need a pic (though its not for sale sorry)
My 2 is a 46 outer 38 middle.
Reason ? At the time i didnt have a granny ring to fit :LOL:

Re:

I wonder about going down to 2 rings at the front, as I rarely use the granny ring. Does come in handy for steep stuff though, where your weight distribution can be make or break.
But the 44/46 depending on bike, does come in handy too. :?

If the mech takes a lowest of 28, maybe go for a smaller ring at the front to make the climbs easier?

Mike

Re:

Only thing I would recommend if you do the 1X is a medium to short cage mech to help keep the chain on and shorten it as much as you can. This will help you keep the chain on without the need for a guide. You won't need as long of a chain without the big gear up front. This will greatly enhance the spring tension. The old long cages definitely will have you cursing on chain drops so ditch it if you go this route. Lot's of trial and error on this. Been doing 1X's off and on since the mid to late 90s.

I use a 1 X 8 speed bike in the winter. It works perfectly.
46T is a front, rear and 11/32. :)

tn_3_7819.jpg

lots of useful info, thanks!

After some googling, I've found that wolf tooth components make 110bcd 5 arm NW chainrings in 34t and up (in 2t increments). Race face also make NW rings for cross, but only 38t and up.

I currently use 24/38t chainrings, with a 12 (or 13?) to 28 8-speed cassette. I think my XT rear mech will go to a 32t sprocket, not the 28 as I thought. But even so, with only 8 sprockets it's impossible to keep the same range or very close to it. with a 32 sprocket, I'd need a 28t chainring to keep the same bottom gear (and they aren't available in 110bcd anyway).

If I decide to change, I think an 11-34 9 speed cassette with a 34t chainring is the best option. More or less the same top and bottom gears as what I have now...

foz":2ob2cvkm said:
I've found that wolf tooth components make 110bcd 5 arm NW chainrings in 34t and up (in 2t increments).
:D They HAVE to be in two tooth increments........

Back