28 days in Morzine!

Brings back good memories, did four years on the trot in les gets with alpactive. Was a nice fast run down puncture alley, does it still have the wire fence and metal ramp through it lol. Last time I was there what mtb (can't quite remember which being that far back lol) did an article on it, got in the mag lol

Re:

puncture alley is still the same, has the metal bridge and the electric fence things aswel, it's basically one of the access roads to the mossette lift so it'll stay the same for a long time, if not forever.

also singletrack magazine have an article about the Col de Coux by Carl and Sian who run this chalet, it's a good read if you feel the need to buy the mag. :D
this is a popular chalet because of Carl and Sian, they know so many people in the trade aswel as loads of riders who have stayed over the years, people keep coming back because they really "get it" as they are proper bikers themselves, they understand about the security of your pride and joy bike, they have a toolkit for you to use, a wash station and best of all their cooking is excellent, combine that with a chalet that has english sky tv and good wifi for the downtime, not to mention a few good local bars and restaurants (for their night off) and you're on to a winner especially with the trails here!
the standard price is £400 a week all in, i got a bit of a better deal as i had been before, was having a longer stay and had recommended others to stay (3 in total) so i have no complaints.

last week Andy who owns Bike treks in Ambleside popped in for dinner with his other half, last year Ffion Griffiths was here aswel with her then other half DH french/world champion emmelin ragot so it's a busy cool place to be.

personally i now wouldn't consider another place unless Carl and Sian left.

:D

Wondered if you'd bump into Andy as he has his own place out there, should go back at some point and see how it's changed, as last time I was there was 98! Hope the weather stays well for the rest of your stay.

Re:

so first day riding with my mates Matt and Adam, both on brand new bikes, Matt has a new Orange 5, and Adam has an Empire cycles bike, both 27.5 wheels with pretty nice specs as can be seen from these pics.

the ride was a bit of everything as matt hasn't been here for 11 years so both myself and Adam wanted to give him a good look around the newer stuff he hadn't seen, anyway here are some pictures with a few descriptions :D

Matts new toy!

IMG_2520 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

close up

IMG_2521 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Adam's Empire, he was playing with the shock pressures as he was in a bit of an unknown territory with the bike

IMG_2522 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

close ups, cast headtube

IMG_2523 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

cast seat parts

IMG_2524 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2525 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the view back to the Lac de Montriond from the top of the Chatel bike park

IMG_2526 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

closer to the edge, back a bit, bit more

IMG_2528 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

me and adam mucking about

IMG_2530 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Chatel bike park chairlift

IMG_2532 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

epic weather today

IMG_2534 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Chatel gap jump (unknown rider)

IMG_2535 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2536 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

typical of the downhill courses

IMG_2538 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

matt on the 5

IMG_2540 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

adam on the empire

IMG_2545 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

puncture on tubeless! overlooking Linderet

IMG_2551 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

attempting to seal it!

IMG_2553 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

lunch at mammo's!

IMG_2554 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

perfect blue sky

IMG_2555 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

dirty 5

IMG_2556 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

bike rack at Bar Robinson

IMG_2557 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the Rhodes bar

IMG_2558 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

so this morning about 4am i was awoken by the most heavy thunderstorm ever! :shock: sounded like the gods were farting just outside my window! epic!

when i got up this morning it had stopped raining but after that we knew it would be a bit of a nightmare out there so we decided to chill for a bit and wait until this afternoon before going out, in the meantime we decided to do that french thing of cafe chilling to watch the world go by. :cool:

IMG_2565 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2566 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

The chap with the fat bike passed us on his way up to Lindaret - we were in the Goat village and gave him a cheer as he rode past in the pouring rain!

Re:

yeah Robin is a legend! he's known Carl and Sian for a while now and pops over to ride at some point most summers.

hmm, should have asked if i could have used Sian's pics so i'll put them back if she's happy with that. :oops:

Re:

ok, so todays ride, as i said earlier it was pissing down last night so we waited till about 1pm before getting out, we headed up the Pleney lift and across to Les Gets, this drops us out on the bottom of the downhill course followed by the old dual course, after this we headed back up the Chanvannes course, down one of the downhill runs in the bike park and back up the other chairlift to the top of the Col de Joux Plane, we initially rolled down the road then picked up and offroad track that after a while climbed up along a ridgeline into some trees where the trail was route filled and steep and still very wet! it eventually chucked us out at the bottom of Les Gets, there were loads of dodgy moments and for me plenty of foot downs!

after lunch we then headed back up tot the top of the Joux Plane but headed for the Nyon traverse, epic bit of trail and i won't try to explain it i'll just post pics! :D

from the top of the traverse of Nyon

IMG_2569 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

riding on the edge

IMG_2570 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2571 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2573 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2576 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2578 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2582 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2587 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2588 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2589 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2590 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2593 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2594 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2601 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2605 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2608 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2612 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2615 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_2617 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

so today has been a bit of a waste :(

i had to phone the RAC european breakdown people about the van, it was supposed to be picked up today to go get repaired, unfortunately the lady who is dealing with it for me is having trouble with the french! what a surprise!! :roll: not so much the garages but the recovery guys to take it to a garage! anyway, supposedly it's being collected tomorrow now so i have been waiting around for nothing, bum :? i suppose it's not a major bummer though really as i have ridden everyday since i got here so far so having a day off is no bad thing.

but i did nip out for lunch! :D Dotty's cafe is a great little place and i was attempting to be healthy so salad with a bit of parma ham was the order of the day

IMG_2624 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

also decided to make myself useful by fettling the bike :)

IMG_2623 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

right ok, today was better, it started with the van getting hauled of to a garage! the clutch is dead so i'm about to get financially raped for that!! :shock:

IMG_2636 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

this was at 8am which meant i could ride the whole day, but then Matt didn't drag him bum out of bed so we had to give him a kick to get up, so we actually started riding later than normal as a result we headed for food earlier than normal at midday so we could then have a long afternoon mission.

the view from my window

IMG_2637 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the view from the first lift, looking at morzine

IMG_2639 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

got to get yourself to Mammo's for food!

IMG_2641 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Matt was confused at seeing an Electra Ratfink!

IMG_2640 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

after a load of epic riding we almost missed the bus back up the mountain! we didn't actually want to get the bus from Chatel but we were told the Champousan lift would be closed by the time we got there so (it was 3.45pm) so we had to leg it up a road climb then down to Chatel to get the 4pm bus, we hammered it up and then down and made it by 2 mins! here's how they hang the bikes on the busses, why don't we do this?!

IMG_2643 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Matt on the "Panoramic" down to Chatel bike park

P1130564 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Adam on the "Panoramic"

P1130577 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130581 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

rolling down in Chatel on the singletrack, what you can't see is the massive drop to his left

P1130620 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130684 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130697 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130699 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130722 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

1 week old, not so shiny now! :D

P1130728 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130734 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130737 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130739 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1130771 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Back