26 Vs 27.5 tyres practically the same size?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I was putting away my newly acquired 27.5 wheeled gravel bike, propping it up against my son's 26er and noticed that there was practically no difference at all between the two wheel/tyre combos which surprised me

My son's bike is wearing schwalbe racing Ralph's in 2.1 size, my gravel bike 1.9 panaracer gravel kings.

I would have expected there to be more of a difference, quite surprised that it is so marginal.

Them 2 mm make all the difference between a real cyclist and a progress-denying bso-riding schmuck stuck in the past.
You just don't get it!
Ask the sales guy at your local LBS - he'll explain why 27.5 is so so much better.

when I rode some 27.5 I expected much. either a front susser or the full susser. But nothing. The full susser was a fun toy but no way would I buy one for proper off roading. Still couldn't hide the weight. What a lump. Going up hill was hell.

650b tyres do vary though, especially gravel bike ones. Just got back from a weekend riding with mates and the 47mm WTB's on my bike are dwarfed by my pal's 2.1 Vittoria's. I'm not surprised there's not much difference between some 26 inch MTB tyres compared to 650b road/gravel tyres.

it's really not much 8-12mm from the center of the hub to top of rim sidewall... Major difference between 27.5 & 29" though. The only real factor when considering 26-27.5 is frame geometry. Love me some modern geo...

The Panaracers that I have are huge. They seem to be taller and wider than other brands in the same size. When the 27.5 cult first started I put Schwalbe Hans Dumpfs in 26 x 2.35 on one of my mountain bikes. The diameter was 27 inches. I still ride that bike.

You're right, Hans dampfs are huge! Years back when Jenson was having a close out on HD's, I picked up 30 tires at $10 each. All 26x2.4. But yeah, they are enormous compared to just about any other tire. By far the cheapest way to go 27.5 lol

Wait a minute! I've just had a thought... it's almost as though all these innovations are some kind of... MARKETING EXERCISE!!!!

No! We got got again! On another funny note, 750mm bars are the new 800mm. Something about trying to keep 29's manuverable... (It works by the way)

Back