2006 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

Anthony":10ir0avn said:
I'm puzzled that it takes a 29.4 post. Normally, butting is external so a 31.8 x 9-6-12 tube would have an internal diameter of 31.8 - 2 x 0.6 = 30.6 and it might take a post of 30.4 ED. The 29.4 post seems to imply that the butting must be internal. In which case the post is in contact with the tube only for the butted part of the tube. In which case, there may be no advantage from using a long post as I advocated earlier?

Yes, 29.4 with an internal butted section to the top of the tube. The butted section is fairly long so running a longer post makes perfect sense. Certainly better than an original USE with a 2cm tall shim.

ededwards":10ir0avn said:
Lovely looking frame and kudos for the eclectic build - the tyres and stem/seatpost combo are nice subtle touches. Isn't it a bit small though with only that stump of post standing proud?

Got to take exception to this though
John":10ir0avn said:
Running a decent direct fit (ie not shimmed) post and seat collar is the way forward.
- how on earth are you going to successfully ovalise the tube if you don't use a too small shim and some Red Bull can? Of course, the real experts use a too large shim (bashed home with a lump hammer so that the top is nice and splayed and all but impossible to remove without scoring the seat tube) and then 'screwing' in the post. If you get this right the shim overlap does a great job of ovalising the tube, you score the post beautifully so that it's easier to cut it lengthwise if you need to do so when you come to get it out plus, if you are really skilled, you can bulge the seattube and bend or (oh heaven) even snap the seatpost binder bolt. Or so I'm told.

Your mind tricks won't work on me Edwards!

There is only one other man on the site who could pull off the mismatched stem/post and tyre combo, he looks like Lewis Collins.

You know it fits me too. If I do move it on sure I can mangle the tube suitably, always good to repay favours.

John":29s0tl2z said:
You know it fits me too. If I do move it on sure I can mangle the tube suitably, always good to repay favours.

Shall I pick this up off you at HoNC?

ededwards":g80ycw3d said:
John":g80ycw3d said:

Shall I pick this up off you at HoNC?

No problem. Just bring 800 sheets to fund a new kitchen for myself and it's yours ;)

John":xf5sj2kt said:
No problem. Just bring 800 sheets to fund a new kitchen for myself and it's yours ;)

Seems a bit steep for just a damaged frame ;) although to be fair I was chancing my arm hoping that you were skint are the Mirage purchase.

ededwards":2vy2c1ke said:
John":2vy2c1ke said:

Seems a bit steep for just a damaged frame ;) although to be fair I was chancing my arm hoping that you were skint are the Mirage purchase.

The mirage has cleaned me out - we all have our unicorns.

I need top money for the IF - agas ain't cheap as you well know.

John":1sdia4u4 said:
ededwards":1sdia4u4 said:
John":1sdia4u4 said:

The mirage has cleaned me out - we all have our unicorns.

I need top money for the IF - agas ain't cheap as you well know.

SMEG

Just spotted this old thread and thought how cool this strange named bike looked and no i'm not an idiot just been out of touch in the world of bikes :oops: but any one that can make such a mess on the inside of a seat tube should either be shot or pay up the full cost of the repair imho ..

Latest posts

Back