2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> now in fixed gear mode

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Frame now painted!

Konsta, any updates? If you're as slow building bikes as I am then there won't be :LOL: :facepalm:

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Frame now painted!

Haha. Only just noticed this. Hope you didn't hold your breath, foz!

No real updates to speak of, sorry. Kind of lost interest in this for a little while.

Tried some seatposts though.

First this, a Ritchey Classic:
1zl85tz.jpg

But then decided to go with this:
kbcf4i.jpg

Removed those logos with a wipe of acetone. The Deda is much heavier than Ritchey but it looks a lot smoother IMO.

I'm also thinking that maybe I should change the cranks to more modern Campy pair. Not really sure.

These?
2co61vq.jpg

Or these?
Campag-Veloce-crankset.jpg

What do you think?

Re:

Not those Veloce cranks.
Either stick with what you've got or try and find a pair of the original Record carbon cranks circa ~2000

record10fc03re293c_1780_detail.jpg

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Which cranks to choose?

Those early Record carbon cranks are nice. I have a pair in my other bike. But I have a kind of a fixation with silver color cranks for this Klein.

2dwdbl.jpg

90zwop.jpg

The Veloce cranks (I think) with a Chorus 42T chainring and vintage dust caps.

2egf8tc.jpg

The brakes look good. All the steel bolts (including the pivot bolts) have been replaced with titanium. The original cable adjusters I changed to these ones to get a more of a Campy-look.

s2v13m.jpg

The headset top part (15 mm) and the spacers (20 mm) are terribly expensive Cane Creek 110 ones. But they do look classy.

nxw6z6.jpg

For the skewers I use a combination of steel bolt-on axle and a noname alloy collar to get a clean look. But on the visible side I chose to use these chromed vintage Campy quick release nuts.

I think those Veloce cranks look good. But just in case I bought a pair of Chorus cranks for 20 pounds today. So I'll try those too.

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team project -> Some progress

The seatpost clamp that came with the frame was realy ugly looking. 36,4 mm clamps are not easy to find but I did manage to locate one that I liked.

33nxqns.jpg

To get rid of the black anodizing I used some oven cleaner. About 30 minutes was enough.

2enc4n8.jpg

Before.

15zfq00.jpg

After.

o0e9nn.jpg

Good fit.

3179yiq.jpg

A recovered Flite, Deda post and the polished clamp.

I now have a few more things to decide. First and foremost what colour of cable housing I should use? I have an unopened package of Campagnolo shifter and brake cables and housing. But they are black. Maybe I should get something like Jagwire titanium braided ones? Don't know.

Looking good Konsta! Are you planning on a single ring up front with gears at the back?

I think grey cables would look good (they look good with just about any colour!) - black are too obvious, white with yellow doesn't look right, and a contrasting colour like red would be too much I think.

the saddle is black, what about the bartape? any decals going on the frame?

Thanks!

Yes it's going to be 1 x 10 drivetrain.

Hmm... Grey cable housing you say? Are you thinking late 90's and early 2000's Dura-Ace cable grey?

I have not made up my mind about the decals. I've seen black Klein decals on Quantum Pros but in my opinion they look cheap. So if there's going to be any decals on this frame they're definitely going to be white.

Something like this:
jai96q.jpg

No, sorry!

I did cut the the cables outers and even got the cables running inside the frame. The shifter was easy but the rear brake cable was super hard as there is no guide left inside the frame. Took two persons hard work and a lot of thinking. We used strings, magnet, the works. But finally it worked out ok.

Will take some pictures. Soon.

Love kleins but that bike need a fully record 10 speed Ti groupset that would look lovely and be period correct. Get the seat post too and the hubs if you can afford them. Lace the hubs to some lovely ambrosio nemesis rims and uhmmmmmmm sex on wheels.

Still it is going be a lovely b

Back