2 weeks off work = 1st wheel build project

re spoke count, at least that partially solves another problem. Will sell the 28 spoke 7700s as complete wheels, it seemed a pity to disassemble them as they've never been ridden. 36 hole will actually open up my options for 126mm axled freewheel hubs which I've now decided on. Making a single speed wheel should mean minimal dishing (if any) and I presume I'll only need one length of spoke.

Also thanks for the hanging the bike rather than upside down tip. Right, time to search some hubs out.

Re:

Dial gauges are nice once you get down to the final part of truing, I have them on my stand, but they are a bit of a luxury and as Rampage says, no use for dishing a rear wheel at all. For this I almost always use the frame the wheels are going into.

Re:

I say go for it. I started building my own wheels a couple of years ago and I find it very satisfying.
For a while I used a frame clamped to my bench for trueing, then I ventured forward to build an adjustable jig, from some scrap aluminium machinery parts. It wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be. (I was lucky that the parts worked out well.) Cost was £20 for the dial gauge off ebay.

One top tip I can give is to take extreme care when lacing up. Those stainless threaded spoke ends will scratch your precious alloy rims in the blink of an eye. Bitter experience... :facepalm:

Bruce

Attachments

• rsz_2013-05-27_132103.jpg
    rsz_2013-05-27_132103.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 143
Back