1X10 is it any good and worth it?

I'm no climber, but haven't struggled with my 32 - 32 at the likes of degla which has a few decent climbs.

Re:

Well thats my riding spot! On the zig zag climb I am sure I would normally drop down to the small ring just because its there, but now I won't have a choice, I do climb it quick.

Then there is the climb(s) near the end (prior to Julia's Trail) where I won't put a foot down, unless someone gets in the way.

I normally do 2 laps of black or black/red, so I may regret it second go around, but it should make me stronger.

I am not the fastest down the hills, so not overly concenred about higher gears.

I went up there just after I went 1x9 (not 10!) on my main bike, previously only ran that on jumpy, dh bikes. Thought I'd struggle on the ups and need more on the downs but I just pushed myself a little more on the ups and found the dh speed to be more about flow than pedalling around there! enjoy it.

I may get to try it come the week end, or near Rivington, the climb up to the tower is testing but do-able.

The main reason to go 1x10, is I want to do some local races next year, done a few this year, but I wanted to lighten the load and certainly didn't need triple at the front - everyone elses bike is some superlight carbon its seems, with my budget I am stuck with alu for now. If I can get it below 25lbs I would be happy.

Also intrigued how I will get on with 1x10, as I reckon my next purchase would be some CX-Rigid29er type, with hydraulics and 1x10.

I've not ridden Rivington since they ran the four way eliminator races back in the late 90s!

Re:

Both my hard tail and full sus are 3x9 but i find i rarely come off the granny ring if i do it is the middle on technical or tough climb. The small ring is never used so 2 x 9 would be plenty or 1 x 9 would do 90% of the time for me anyway.
Can't really see the point in dropping from 3x to 2 x but if you want simplicity then i could see the appeal of a single front ring with no front shifter or mech and shorter cage rear mech that wouldn't get snagged up so much.

Back