1st owner 1995 Trek 8700 restoration

Very nice story, cannot wait to see progress. When can we expect more pics?

Are you going with suspension or keeping original rigid? If you ask me I would definitely give it a try or two with original first. If it is not your daily rider I don't think you will notice big difference.

Nice work, and a nice bike of course. Shame we don't see more Treks on here.

Looking forward to more photos.

Re:

Nice rebuild. I've always liked the clean technical look of Trek bikes from the early nineties. Very nice colour also.

In the Netherlands most people choose for the Giant Cadex option. They were more affordable and were widely available since Giant had so many dealers selling Giant bikes back then allready.

I think bonded aluminium / carbon frames hold well. I've seen many Cadex frames and never with any bonding issues.
No problems with Miyata bonded aluminium / carbon framesets either.
But I have seen some issues with bonded aluminium / titanium frames so I think the problem lies with the bonding of titanium tubing to aluminium lugs.
Still, that's a guess.

The forks, that was indeed the most difficult choice to make. Trek offered the bike in 2 versions: rigid, in the ice-copper color scheme, or as the 8700 SHX with a Judy up front, in which case the frame lugs were polished. I wanted to buy the 8700 SHX, but as this one wasn't in stock, the dealer offered to put a judy on the rigid 8700 he had on display, and I could also take the rigid fork home for future use. For the restoration, I kept both options open all they way up to the big assembly phase:

Attachments

• DSC_2040.jpg
    DSC_2040.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 665
other parts sourced were a complete M737 XT groupset (thanks to "thesneaker"), a Vetta SL saddle (thanks to "racer x"), and some amber Tioga Psycho's which I bought 10 years ago from Ernie Frieke in the Netherlands, meant to go on my Attitude, but no longer serving that purpose.

For the bb (shimano UN55), the headset (Dia Tech CB2) and the cables, I opted for modern parts in line with the OE equipment.

This brings the total parts package to this:

All set to build the bike now!

Attachments

• DSC_2039.jpg
    DSC_2039.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC_2035.jpg
    DSC_2035.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 662
So, with no further delay, here's the current status:

I made one error in the parts selection: I knew the front mech had to be top pull, instead of the down pull version I got with the groupset, but the alternative I bought on here, was the wrong diameter (31.8 instead of 34.9), which was entirely my mistake. Consequently, I couldn't finish the bike yet.

Other parts still to be sourced are some 747 pedals and bar-end covers.

I'm pretty pleased with the result. It's very close to how I bought it 20 years ago, except it's full XT now, rather than XT/LX, but I think the all-silver theme (instead of the LX black), suits it well.

A proper photo shoot will follow when it's truly finished.

Attachments

• DSC_2043.jpg
    DSC_2043.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 655
Re:

Boggle and Scotland Yard!

Big time Rock&Roll Xmas in your home :D

Personally I think the Judy's suit the build and their colour is spot on for the red.

Back