1999 Schwinn Homegrown 4 Banger

I'm seriously considering my options. I got in touch with Frank The Welder who quoted $300 to remove and weld a new gusset, and $400 to re-do the paint. What's unclear is whether the original decals could be preserved. I have no doubt it would be a fantastic job, and I love the Straight 6 but $700 plus what I paid for it is a little more than I could justify right now.

Re:

Have to agree. Whilst it's value from such a reputed welder, I'd spend that cash on getting a bespoke front made from scratch. Tapered headtube added etc. Amedius on here got btr fabrications to.make him unique rear I'd look at same on front.

I have read Amedius's write up on his BTR project. Would love to see what it looks like now and an updated review.

The plus point is that for not a very large sum of money, I now have a spare Vanilla R rear shock with the matching collar, and an entire spare rear triangle to keep my 4 Banger and Straight 6 going for the near future.

I may get it grit blasted around the head tube and get Frank to just do the welding, eventually.

Re:

If that were me I would probably just keep using it and keep an eye on it. I've had a couple of cracks on the pivots on one of my S6 and on a 4B frame and after the initial appearance didn't get any worse over several years. The headtube section on the S6 is well supported and as long as the crack didn't grow I think I would be happy to leave it.

In ref to your other comments on previous page, yes the S6 and 4B geometry is quite different, the bizarre bit is that they have almost identical working head angles but with different length forks, which means the head angle on the S6 is actually steeper than the 4B when running the same length fork. This is partly why I ended up getting the BTR built as I loved the way The 4B rode with a 140/150mm fork, but needed something sturdier and couldn't get what I needed geometry wise from the S6.

It was also nice to get a bit more length in the top tube while keeping it super low for clearance as I used to ride the 14in S6 and 15in 4B for clearance with my little legs but actually prefered the TT length on the 17in 4B I had, what I really wanted was a 16in S6 but never managed to find one so the BTR was an attempt to meld them altogether into what I actually wanted, something it has done rather well!

Re:

Sorry, to grab out this old threat,

I own the same bike(to be certain a friend which is a collector). But he doesn't like the original SID Damper. Is it possible to replace it? what type of damper is useful as a replacement (in terms of size, measurement, and in all technicall ways)... a coil-over damper would be his preferred choice,...

thank you very much in advance

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back