1999 Marin Mount Vision Pro

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but thought others might appreciate my thoughts on the long term test.
The bike is great, way better than I ever imagined in fact. I spent years rejecting suspension bikes, claiming they were heresy! But, when I finally tried one for myself, I was amazed by how much trail chatter was removed - it was still the same trail, but without all the background noise to spoil it. After miles and miles of off road riding on this bike, I started finding its opportunities. When I wrote them all down, I realised that the frame wasn't actually one of them either...

Needs more powerful (modern disc) brakes
Needs slightly longer travel front fork
Needs wider flat bars
Needs tubeless tyres to get better traction
Needs to lose some weight!

Also, I liked the 2000 model rear swing arm a bit more than mine - just looks better. So, I found a 2000 Rift Zone frame to take the rear end from. When comparing the two frames, there's a lot of difference between the years, but I decided to stick with the earlier front end as it avoids being stuck with a 27.0mm seat post.

I started gathering all the parts for a rebuild, and I'm now ready to pull it apart and start again by addressing its opportunities.

The main frame returned from the powder coaters in matt Black.

14e80u1.jpg

Showing the modified cable stops, which will now allow a disc cable...

t02jjs.jpg

69nach.jpg

'That' rear end with its matching cable guide alterations...

hufwud.jpg

n5pxkm.jpg

Brief mock up...

r20n5y.jpg

Re:

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this....still riding my '98 Mount Vision regularly. Sorely tempted for a respray though!

signing up for this latest rebirth. do like the late 90's Marin FS and this is going to be a corker (again)

The strip and powder coating cost just £35, but I had a bit of prep to do, such as bolting washers to the bearing and bush surfaces to avoid any paint build up. Plus I cleaned up the canti mounts on the rear swing arm by deleting them.

I was never really happy with the plain washers used on the pivot points on these frames - they're always Silver, and look a bit dated. So, I removed mine, took some accurate measurements and had some more machined up. Anodising was left in the very capable hands of Chris (Rampage), and here's the final product...

vxofbl.jpg

2rpxzk6.jpg

I had a few sets made up, so that I could choose between Red or Black, but I'm pretty confident the latter will find their way onto this bike. The B-17 will probably get the Red when it gets its turn for a rebuild.

Yeah, the guy does stuff at 'mates rates' for his longer term customers, but I'd imagine £50 would be the regular price.

Here's a few pictures from before the powder coating...

1zb9jpv.jpg

The gentle persuading of the cable stop to become a disc hose carrier...

fc7xw.jpg

The deleting of the canti mounts - no going back...

2le3uo1.jpg

Not had much time for this lately, but as the new shock arrived today, I squeezed an hour in to get it further along. The new shock is a DT Swiss XR Carbon, and weighs about 100g less than the last one.

29ok2s1.jpg

117437p.jpg

I will use some black titanium bolts to secure the suspension bushes together, but they're still in transit somewhere. I just used to old ones to get it together with the new bearings.

pajac.jpg

b6xyrt.jpg

Back