1999 Marin Mount Vision Pro

Re:

Hi there, that build looks amazing, love the stealth look.

Sorry a bit thread hijack but I'm in the process of building a mount vision pro like this. I apparently got the last crash replacement frame in the whole world!

Anyway, I want to build it to fit my old SID SLs from the same vintage which I have had rebuilt but am also wondering about making it a little more modern.

Can anyone tell me what the longest axle to crown race length they have run without impacting negatively on handling.

I must say I do like the sound of those DT Swiss forks which can "lock down" for climbing.

Thanks and well done OP

Hi Benandemu, I think it's fair to say that your work on this Mount Vision has been admired by many people on this site. I hope you didn't mind but I sent for this build the link to Jon Whyte at Whyte bikes - obviously he was the man behind the classic Mount Vision design. I thought he might be interested in the amount of effort you've put into this. I received a reply from Whyte bikes this morning. I think they've mistakenly assumed it's MY build (I wish), but here's the reply: I think it's fair to say they were impressed.

Mr Mitcheson,
Thank you very much for this link, we spent most of Friday morning having a look at all the work you have done. We really like the paint finish. Although all of us said 'I wonder how much that set him back'. You've clearly spend some time and effort improving the Mount Vision and although we are no longer associated with Marin it was nice to see an old friend cared for.
Thanks again
Whyte Bikes.

I hope you didn't mind me sharing the link.

Cheers.

Re:

Only just read this thread but wow what a labour of love! Its final incarnation looks like a modern bike but with unique retro styling. Sure there will be quite a few folk now working on their own Mount Vision Pro's after seeing this!

Well, I took my time getting the final update on this. The wheels were basically swapped out for brand new 3.30Ti hubs with new Stan's Alpine rims and DT Revolution spokes. It does drop the weight to 22.9lbs.
Also, the brakes needed new fluid and bleeding as they were too soggy in their feel - funny, but it's been similar with another set of Shimano discs I've had. They're no good until you re-bleed them!
Lastly, the choice of decals, which is something I agonised over. In the end I decided to retain the original decal font, but have them in white...

20qas7r.jpg

2ylof95.jpg

The reality of the last few months work/life/play balance has swung dramatically in favour of the former rather than the latter. My time on the bike has been very limited, and I'm now beginning to find the time again to get out on my bike besides the commute to work. I've been dreaming about where I'd ride, and how the bike would feel ever since I finished building it. I only rode it twice, and both times was on the road. Finally, this Wednesday gave me a full day's window to get up to Gisburn forest and test her out.
To say I checked every bolt in the car park before riding is not an exaggeration! Here's a pic of it just before I set off - which is why it's still so clean. Plus, the weather front hadn't quite moved in at that point!

jr3e2q.jpg

The trails were fairly flooded, and the weather was harsh at times. It never really lifted above 5 degrees, but I'd come for the day, so two full laps were to be completed regardless of the conditions up there. It would have been too easy a test if everything was dry and sunny, so the weather and the flooded trails actually gave the bike a proper challenge.

At first I really struggled with the disc brakes - they're so damn powerful! I was braking all the time, because in my head I'm still cleaning rims pre-braking, as V brakes still need the same kind of awareness and foresight as cantis. Once past that, then I could start to explore what I'd changed about the old.

Tubeless tyres were the big winner of the day. Unbelievable difference in traction, handling, and braking. Why has it taken me so long to get onto that? Their ability was way ahead of my confidence, and I'm certain that I'll push harder the more I trust them.

The geometry was very carefully transferred over from the old build, so there were no surprises there. The bars are deliberately wider though, and were very much needed. So much more control and comfort is afforded by simply moving your hands 40mm further out each side.

The gearing was initially a worry for me because I'm running a 27/40 instead of the old 22/32/44. I'd say that I probably need to get a 26T inner ring, as I felt a tiny bit over geared on the really steep stuff. In terms of performance, the XTR is simply amazing, just faultless in function and ergonomics.

The front and rear shocks feel firm in comparison to their competitors, but they do their job when the big hits come, and that's just how DT make them. They're more of a race spec, than all day comfort, and I actually prefer that feel on this bike. The bike never lets you feel too disconnected from the surface beneath.

Lastly, it's light - really light, and we all know what translates to when climbing. The thing is so nimble, and I was properly impressed at just how chuckable it is. I'm keen to get it to Grizedale forest over the next 6 weeks, and see how well it performs up there, where some of the tracks are more flowing. Like I've already mentioned, there's much, much more capability in this bike, and it will take me some time and confidence to properly release it.

In summary, it's not the quickest bike around the trails, and it's not the best at descending the heavy technical stuff, but as a confidence inspiring XC all rounder it's fantastic. I will go back to Gisburn in the summer when it's dry, and see just how fast it is compared with past runs I've recorded. The bike made me smile all the way around - smiling because I'd made the right choices, and smiling because they were rewarding me at every opportunity presented. I just kept being surprised at how much more capable it is versus the last incarnation. Maybe this is its last makeover, as the demise of 26" wheels comes ever closer, and modern components become less compatible with a frame this old.

Back