1998 Saracen Havoc Full Suspension Bike Mavic D521 Deore LX

superstu":h2ky279i said:
Slightly off topic but I've seen rsts snap from a 1 foot 'jump'...and they were 461's which were higher end.

fair enough, likewise i know someone who snapped some rockshox boxxers forks on his way home from work one day - expensive doesn't mean its unbreakable and likewise entry level doesn't mean its unfit for purpose.

Bike Hoarder":117a7fbp said:
Nope, definitely i was selling the very same you are here today.

It was the cheapest 'full suspension' bike available on the market at that time - bar Raleigh with their Activator 2.

Sure Saracen went on and built more complete abominations that pass for mountain bikes, yours was the start of a slippery slope that led them to the world of DH wannabes and jump bike disasters.

Take a look at the rear mech - plastic and steel, chainset - pressed steel rings. I'm sure your is in tip top condition because it never saw the use (abuse) that the majority received.

Now, you like your bike, and that i understand - but rare gem it is not.

So the 'components' you say were plastic is actually limited to just the mech which only has 2 plastic covers over a metal mech? I agree it was the cheapest full suspension bike of its day, and they obviously saved money on some parts in order to make the rest better - but its not the supermarket special you're making it out to be which is backed up by articles published in some of the most popular and respected MTB mags of the time. I'll dig out my old mags and the saracen catalogue I have and scan them in when I get a minute. Also I don't think you can count the activator 2 as full sus as it just had some rubber as a shock absorber that didn't do much and the forks didn't move either lol

£145 would have bought you this last June

b17_sale_sale_150.jpg

Entry level full sus that year started at circa £1000, entry level off-road capable (rigid) around £300 - £350.

Sure, we've nearly all broken expensive parts in the pursuit of lightness/performance - my list of 'epic fails' - middleburn RS2 cranks (LH snapped through the taper), ultralight handlbars (snapped at the stem), skinny skewers (snapped at the ends).

saracenhavoc":3cpgiyt3 said:
but its not the supermarket special you're making it out to be

never said supermarket my friend, i sold them in a fully independent bike shop - even attended the launch day at Saracen HQ.

i thought this was a 'for sale' ad..not a 'up for discussion/slating' thread....
maybe these comments should be carried on elsewhere on the forum where it would probably open it up more to those seeking discussions in the correct part of the forum....?
just a suggestion type bump.
good luck with the sale :)

legrandefromage":2fbdu7xo said:
It is always a bit unfair to put down somebody's pride and joy but on this occasion be prepared for some blunt responses.

This was a very low end bicycle when new (I dont know where they got the £600 price tag from!) and even dressing it in 'upgrades' doesnt change that fact. The chainset is made of press steel chainrings spot welded together. If any of the rings wear or get damaged, the chainset is junk.

The rear mech is a nylon plastic and pressed steel affair, well know for snapping at the pivots if it gets a big knock

A little research on ebay would throw up the exact same bike for a buy it now of £70:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saracen-Havoc ... 500wt_1287

So, apologies but thats how it is

No need to apologise, I'm a big boy and everyones entitled to their opinions but in my experience it is and always has been an excellent bike for the money and this is backed up by people who tested it when it came out. You might argue that this was only their opinion at the time but thousands of people paid to read those opinions in mags at the time and made their MTB/parts purchase choices based on the reviews they read in them.
The £600 price tag came from the manufacturer as this is what it cost, although I only paid £550 as it had been out a while. This may be true about the chainrings, but after more than a decade they are still working fine for me and its not like you couldn't upgrade them if they did break - at no point have i said this bike is a bulletproof downhill monster made with no expense spared, i've said what i know and backed it up with reviews from people in the business.

i've seen that one on ebay, and its not 'the exact same bike' - its the same make and model with no upgrades. theirs must be in much worse condition than mine or they just want to get rid of it for that price but I havn't seen it so thats just my opinion. ebay is a funny thing, i've bought things on there worth £100 for a tenner and likewise seen used things sell for £100 that you can buy in the shops brand new for £50 - ebay is hard to use as a yardstick as one weeks prices are entirely different to the next.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Bike Hoarder":2s1mm00c said:
saracenhavoc":2s1mm00c said:
but its not the supermarket special you're making it out to be

never said supermarket my friend, i sold them in a fully independent bike shop - even attended the launch day at Saracen HQ.

I didn't mean it like that, I use the term 'supermarket special' to refer to a bike of the lowest of the low components, ie: SIS gears, plastic brake levers, plastic gear shifters, plastic pedals, plastic crank arms, etc. usually found in supermarkets

twain":2sfw3psg said:
i thought this was a 'for sale' ad..not a 'up for discussion/slating' thread....
maybe these comments should be carried on elsewhere on the forum where it would probably open it up more to those seeking discussions in the correct part of the forum....?
just a suggestion type bump.
good luck with the sale :)

Tell me about it. Still there's nothing thats been said that is anything other than opinion so none of it actually means anything, like you say though would be nice for them to start their own thread for it rather than dragging down my for sale thread - but on the plus side, free bumps!

Thanks very much, appreciate it :)

Back