1998 Saracen Havoc Full Suspension Bike Mavic D521 Deore LX

It looks in very tidy condition, the usual advice here if some one wants the most money is to split it down and sell it as component parts. £175 does seem steep for this bike.

Although Saracen were still producing some good bikes in 1998 (the kili 853 was exceptional) The Havoc was built to bring "DH" to the school yard and could as has been pointed out been the start of the focus that lead saracen to lose it.

If you didn't want to split (time hassle, and inevitably you get stuck with a few bits) then Ebay may net you £90-120, if you produced a decent advert with plenty of good photo's.

Sorry to jump in on the debate side but hopefully it will help you move the bike on. Alternatively keep it. I always regret selling a bike I have owned from new!

JeRkY":1585qd2t said:
It looks in very tidy condition, the usual advice here if some one wants the most money is to split it down and sell it as component parts. £175 does seem steep for this bike.

Although Saracen were still producing some good bikes in 1998 (the kili 853 was exceptional) The Havoc was built to bring "DH" to the school yard and could as has been pointed out been the start of the focus that lead saracen to lose it.

If you didn't want to split (time hassle, and inevitably you get stuck with a few bits) then Ebay may net you £90-120, if you produced a decent advert with plenty of good photo's.

Sorry to jump in on the debate side but hopefully it will help you move the bike on. Alternatively keep it. I always regret selling a bike I have owned from new!

Thanks very much, I don't think the photo's do it justice but any higher res and I cant upload them... Thats fair enough and quite honestly don't expect to get £175 for it which is why I said or nearest offer. I'd take £150 for it and that figure only came from people on here saying the D521 wheels and LX brakes would be worth £100 sold seperately. So I figured another £50 for the rest of the bike especially in such good condition was a fair price to shift it fairly quickly, especially as thats including a computer thats about £35 still and mudguards that are £16 still (allbeit these are new prices) but even 2nd hand it all adds up.

Someone also suggested to make more I could sell the wheels and brakes, then get a super cheap set of wheels&brakes on ebay and then sell the bike on for much more total profit but I have my eyes on a new bike which selling this would help pay for and unfortunately I can't store them both in my shed as i've got no more room so the sooner this goes the sooner I can get my new one - which is why I'd prefer to sell it as a full bike.

I think you're right, after the havoc they used their good name (and the havocs good name unfortunately!) to make a bit of extra profit out of the supermarket special area but as history shows it was not a good decision for them!

I appreciate the constructive advice and I know I will regret selling it in some ways, but I just cant keep it and have a new one!

saracenhavoc":3frd4bse said:
but I just cant keep it and have a new one!
:shock: Isn't that the point of retrobike?

Remember that - despite the undoutedly fair comments elsewhere - old bikes aren't all about the objective value, the large majority of the value is, imo, subjective - i.e. what it's worth to the buyer. To someone who had a Havoc back in the day and would like one again this could be the ideal bike. Good luck with the sale! :)

petitpal":1e5wff41 said:
saracenhavoc":1e5wff41 said:
but I just cant keep it and have a new one!
:shock: Isn't that the point of retrobike?

Remember that - despite the undoutedly fair comments elsewhere - old bikes aren't all about the objective value, the large majority of the value is, imo, subjective - i.e. what it's worth to the buyer. To someone who had a Havoc back in the day and would like one again this could be the ideal bike. Good luck with the sale! :)

True, and thats why i originally came here as I was told that this is the place to be for info on and to buy/sell retro bikes :)

I agree with your logic about the value and I'd guess that for anyone in that position the subjective value to them would probably be more than its objective value - further supporting my point that with the upgrades i've made this is a great deal for a great bike (for the right person, obviously!)

Thanks very much, here's hoping as i've now sold myself on getting a new bike (havn't had one in 13/14 years so will be nice). Although since seeing that beautiful Marin B17 on this thread now i'm thinking I might keep my eye out for a B17 on here rather than buying new as seeing the pic really reminded me of how badly I wanted one when I first got my Havoc (but was well out of my price range) - £1700 new in my local shop if i remember correctly! Only thing is like I said before I can only store 1 bike otherwise i'd keep the havoc, buy a new bike and a B17 :cool:

I've moved this to the 98 and onwards section.

Probably a bit late, but I'll step in to remind everyone that it's not really the done thing here on Retrobike to openly criticise a bike which is for sale.
As already stated, individual perceptions and opinions can be very subjective and it's unfair to potentially jeopardise someone's sale by posting up on a thread.

Glad to see that despite this it has sold.

Re:

Hey folks. Does anybody know the geometry of this frame? Is it unusually long as I've never ridden a bike which felt the same?
Mine was also returned before the frame broke, it started to bend - was replaced with the newer curvy frame!

Back