1998 Santa Cruz Tazmon

Thank you ever so much for that link ive been looking for that info for the last few days,not easy to find so ive copy and pasted it here in case we lose that info for whatever reason :D
coomber":35k8s9ha said:
So what is the travel on these then? Cant remember them too well
Jr T's are listed at 130mm[5"] possibly too much but im beginning to think its going to be ok albeit a tad chunky looking :?
coomber":35k8s9ha said:
Being doubly thick here, whats the rocker part of the frame that seems to attach to the body of the shock, what is that there for?
From what i can gather its the stabilize the shock more than your usual single pivot,at least thats more or less what the company blurp was saying :?
----

I've been in contact with Santa Cruz regarding the Tazmon and they have provided me with a number of useful specifications and details on the frame, so i figured i would post up what they provided me with (along with other useful data i've collected over time). I hope others find it of use. See below. BTW if anyone has other useful data on the Tazmon thats not included below please PM me and i will add it in (i'm looking at you Logbiter.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

SANTA CRUZ TAZMON Frame Specifications

The Tazmon was manufactured by Santa Cruz Bicycles from 1994 to 1998, their first mass produced MTB frame. Discontinued in 1998 due to its high manufacturing costs.

Frame Travel: 3" / 70mm

Sizes: 16", 18", 20", 22"

Colours:
Paint: black, lime green, metallic green, orange, polished, red, Sid blue, Transparent Blue, Transparent Red, white, yellow.
Other: Clear powder coat,metallic blue powder coat,clear green powder coat,metallic green powder coat, clear blue powder coat, polished.

Weight: Unsure of frame weight. Complete bikes range from around 24lbs/10.9kgs (hi spec) to 27lbs/12.2kgs (mid to low spec).

Frame material: 6061 T6 aluminum, double-butted, TIG-welded.

Component Specs:
Seatpost - 26.8mm (If it is a late 1998 model it could also be a 27.2mm post. You should measure it to be 100% sure)
Front derailleur - 1995-96 model - 31.8mm Traditional Top Pull, 1997-98 model - 31.8mm Top Pull/Top Swing
Headset - 1-1/8 inch
BB spec - 68mm shell, 47.5mm to 50mm chainline spec, 107mm spindle.

Bolt Torque Settings:
1 - Front Shock Mount (To Frame) - 40 inch lbs.
2 - Brake Plate Bolts - 20 inch lbs.
3 - Rear Shock mount (To S/A) - **60 inch lbs (**Make sure the e-link can move freely)
4 - Main Pivot Nuts - 80 inch lbs
5 - Main Pivot Bearing Pinch Bolts - 40 inch lbs

Bearings:
Lower swingarm bearings were same as 96-99 Heckler ("big bearing") - 1.125 OD x .375 ID.
Upper swingarm bearings (At shock eyelet/e-link) are - 10mm OD x 6mm ID.

Brake Compatibility:
Santa Cruz never made a swingarm with disc mounts for the Tazmon, so only V/cati style brakes are compatible. If you do want to run disc brakes, you will need to go with one of the aftermarket "Universal Mount" options, made by Brake Therapy, Specialized, etc...

Rear shock info:
The only rear shock option for the Tazmon is the Risse Air (3 variants available – the Genesis, Astro-5 & Terminator), which was custom manufactured for the Tazmon’s 3 point shock mounting system with eccentric link (e-link) at swingarm eyelet. For product info visit http://www.risseracing.com/santacruz.shtml.

For rear shock air pressure the rule of thumb is approx 20lbs (psi) over rider weight. For Tazmon rear shock rebuild, and replacement options, contact the manufacturer at www.RisseRacing.com.

Shock installation instructions (courtesy of Risse Racing):

1. Put the damper on like it looked when you first got the bike, but keep all of the bolts loose for now. The eyelet (with the air valve) goes to the rear, the clamp on the body goes in the middle with the cable guide hole to the rider's left. With all the bolts on loose, continue to step 2.

2. Sit on the bike to set the bolts in their natural position. This is important because a bolt tightened out of place can inhibit the damper's performance.

2. Sit on the seat or lean on it with your chest when you tighten the back bolt and the front bolts. They need that weight to hold them in the proper spot when you tighten the front bolts on the body.

3. The rear bolt bolts through the E-link, which must be able to rotate slightly as the damper compresses. The bolt should not be too tight.

4. When you tighten the middle bolt, just make it a gentle hand tight. It should be able to slip a little if it needs too. Don't worry: the middle and rear bolts don’t have to be really tight to do their job.

Extra info/spec's (like geo) may be found here: http://airfreetires.com/Specs/Step2....and=Santa+Cruz

Might see how the modern x9/xo stuff sits. Keep the costs down but wont make for a very period build :?
Swopped the wheels over which looks a bit better,a bit more together but makes the seat tube look a bit of a crazy angle :shock: the manitou i have is 4",it might suit better but i need advice on this. :)
But much to do and much to play with :D looking forward to this project,its been a while since ive had something interesting.

Attachments

• Santa Cruz Tazmon 003 (Large).JPG
    Santa Cruz Tazmon 003 (Large).JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 4,569
Sorry, dyna - my question on travel wasnt on forks but frame. Which is now answered anyway :LOL:

I'd put some single crown bombers on.

Really nice frame, good condition too. Seeing one of these in the flesh in 96 in Calgary planted the seed for Santa Cruz with me.
A test ride back home on a Heckler, with an extra 1" travel and the shop owners' personal ride, sealed my order for a Heckler in 1997.

FWIW This frame was designed for 80mm? suspension, I think it looks all wrong with the 5" forks and the very slack seating angle.
The Tazmon is a 3" travel XC racing machine, here's the 1997 catalogue scans for some inspiration maybe? Sooo nice

TazmonScan1.jpg

TazmonScan2.jpg

Enjoy!!

SEANSTEPHENS":1k19gnix said:
i have a ''99 rear section with a disk mount, i wondered if you were interested in a swap?

sean
Thamks for the offer but im keeping as is.Although i have a hope adaptor i still might put some ~V's on it. :)

A quick pic update.
At the moment im not trying to build it period so its going together with bits and bobs for now.
Ive a set of modern FSA cranks,cheap and nasty but new :D just need the matching bb and a front mech,,and a matching arch rival for the rear.
Good point is that the shock is still holding air and hasn't presented any problems,i feared it was going to be a monumental hunt to source another or parts.
Pic

Attachments

• Santa Cruz Tazmon 004 (Large).JPG
    Santa Cruz Tazmon 004 (Large).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,959
Lovely. I got an old issue of Mountain Bike magazine, didnt realise these retailed at more than the heckler. According to the advert hecler was $999 dollars, and Tazmon was $1299.

IbocProSX":rr5paatx said:

Well that explains the query I had about the shock not being able to move to allow the shaft to move with the swing-arm.
Without the "E Link" there'd be a lot of side loading on shock with the swing-arm pivot moving in an arc. Wouldn't be good for seals longevity.

Like to have a look at the E Link eccentric bearing to see how it works/what it looks like. :cool:

Back