1998 Santa Cruz Heckler frame, L

MikeD

Senior Retro Guru
Someone buy this before I change my mind...

1998 Heckler frame, bought new by me in 1998 and ridden lots since then. So it's not exactly immaculate. Various scuffs, bits of missing paint, and a nice little dent in the top tube from where another bike fell against it sometime around the turn of the century. The paint that remains is fairly dull but would probably polish up OK. Takes a 26.8mm seatpost, the Thomson Elite in the pictures is included (and no, it's not stuck in the frame). Also included is the Syncros headset and the rear IS to post-mount brake adapter because I filed a bit off the back of it to clear the chainstay welds at the dropout, so it's now somewhat specific to this frame.

So cosmetically a bit meh, but functionally spot on. Swingarm bearings are good, derailleur hanger is straight, shock bushings are slop-free. The shock itself is a RockShox Pearl air shock which an adjustable platform valve - I'm not sure I still have the original Fox Vanilla but if it shows up I'll throw it in too. Size L (20in centre to top, but cranked top tube means standover is better than you might think, 23.5in top tube if I remember right, suit riders a couple of inches either side of 6ft).

If you care about such things, this frame (when it was a full bike) featured in a number of MBUK articles and was even on the (corner of the) cover once.

It's packed with memories and still rides great, but it's been gathering dust for far too long and now that the kids' bikes are getting both bigger and more numerous I need the space.

A nice round £100 including UK post.

IMG_4848 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4858 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4857 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4855 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4854 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4853 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4852 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4851 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4850 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4849 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4860 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

IMG_4859 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

Here's one of its previous incarnations:

IMG_8874 by Mike Davis, on Flickr

I'm 183cm. I've not moved the seatpost in the frame-only pics, just took the saddle off, so that's still my pedalling height :)

Back