1998(?) Rocky Mountain Turbo Team

NB1984

Retro Newbie
Hi all!

Yesterday I picked up what I believe to be a 1998 RM Turbo Team. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I love the paint scheme and have a nostalgia for the brand, as I grew up near their BC facility.

I have a few specific questions, but would love to hear any and all feedback from you folks. My questions are as follows:

- Can anyone definitively tell me what year the bike is? I've looked at both the catalogues and pics online. The catalogue from '98 looks most similar. Most of the pics online show black stem and seat post, so that's a bit confusing to me.
- What is the value of the bike? It isn't in showroom condition, but it's decent for its age in my opinion. A few scratches and nicks.
- What are the pedals (stock I believe) and what kind of shoe / cleat would I need to actually make use of them?

As I said, any and all information is appreciated!

Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20210725_043806637.jpg
    PXL_20210725_043806637.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 58
What an awesome bike! Full Shimano Ultegra 6500 including hubs (I think). It's hard to see the pedals, but it looks like they'd use Shimano SPD cleats (like for a mountain bike SPD pedal). I read somewhere on Retrobike that Rocky Mountain would have Canadian and US dealers so the bikes in the US would get different finishing kit (at least for late 80's/early 90's mtb bikes), but that may be a reason the spec is different than catalogue. Seems in good shape so on the Boulder, Colorado craigslist I'd think you could ask $600, give or take $100? These days, people here are putting stuff like this on C-list for close to $1,000 so you could try that as well. You could always send a picture with info to Pro's Closet in Boulder, and they'll tell you what they'd buy it for (but not what they'll resell it for on the bay). Good luck!

Nice bike in a good size. And with the Kestrel EMS fork, I'm partial to those. Definitely mid-90's with the quill stem and 2nd gen STI shifters. Also looks like a Flite Ti saddle, so I think the price was reasonable considering the excellent condition.

Back