1998 P7 - Retro British Kit Build SS

markoc

Orange 🍊 Fan
This is my 1997 date stamped, but 1998 model year Orange P7. In the next few posts I’ll put some commentary of the journey we've been on, and that has seen the completion of this incarnation.

Spoiler alert: It isn’t period correct, it has a modern respray and decals - and it’s (yawn) another singlespeed P7. But this is pretty special to me, and will never ever be sold.

Here’s the current spec list and a pic:

Spec List

Frame: 1997 (98 model) Orange P7
Fork: Pace RC31 Carbon
Headset: Hope

Stem: Pace RC45
Spacers: Xlite
Handlebar: Xlite Cross Country
Grips: Orange Strange
End Caps : Xlite Disco BB

Brakes: Shimano XTR
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR

Chain: SRAM Singlespeed
Cranks: Middleburn
Crank Caps: Xlite
Chainrings: Pace
Chainring bolts: Red ones
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN72
Pedals: Shimano XTR

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Salsa Delgado
Hubs: Hope Pro 3
Nipples: Red ano
Spokes: Black DB
Tyres: Schwalbe Billy Bonkers

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: USE black/red cradle
Seatpost Binder: Hope

C5B603C5-F064-4C91-8793-2CFD63CFAF46.jpeg

The Early Years

So, where to start with this one – it’s been at least 11 years in the making, and the old girl is now 25.

This started life as a 1997 date stamped (1998 model year) P7 in black. Having snapped a Kona Lava Dome frame I was looking for something to pop some parts over to, and I found out that Neilson were selling off their Orange fleet that were used for holidays – but not before sending them back to Orange for a respray and refresh. I picked up the bike in (I think) 1999 – and don’t remember it costing a lot.

4DB5F3EB-0DC2-4340-93B5-2DE492F39EF9.jpeg

Parts went across from the Kona; some Magura HS22’s, a flite, XT wheels, DX thumbies and other bits and bobs. It was my “everything” bike, including being a commuter for a good while.

Ultimately I decided in about 2007 that I’d buy a new Cannondale and scratch the (useless) headshok itch.

The bike went to the back of the garage until I found this lovely place…

The Quest for Parts

With the P7 safely tucked away I spent quite a long time on here, reminiscing about the good old days of MTB. I decided that I’d start to collect bits and pieces that I couldn’t afford when I was a teenager and get the P7 into unicorn spec.

As it happens, most of the bits I lusted after were British – so the theme was born. I would look for as much British kit as I could and hang it off the P7. I’ve always loved how the frame rode – and decided that it should undertake singlespeed duties.

Over the last 11 or so years I’ve gathered bits and pieces, some taking a bit longer to find than others. A gunmetal RC45 stem came and went, as did RC35’s, some RC30 bars (so skinny), various colours of USE post and a few pairs of Hope wheels – that sadly came with the usual cracked hubs. I didn’t really know what to look out for.

Being a black frame I built it up with some bits and bobs to get it going. L&M cranks went on, but didn’t suit it. It had to be middleburns. Then I put some RC31’s on and it came alive. I thought Red white and blue might be cool – so started hoarding ano trick bits.

It got well used around my generally flat Essex surroundings.

But all this time I had hankered after a respray.

ADE9421A-FDD5-459F-9B1E-E1F1E1221A55.jpeg

The big birthday

So the Big Birthday happened. My midlife crisis at 40 saw me ditch the Cannondale, which had given truly outstanding service, but some horrific chainsuck (and my pig-headedness) saw a hole in the chainstay – so it was toast. Most of the modern stuff on there got sold on. I needed a new bike.

Along came a 2020 P7. Box fresh and spanking new, it’s a whole world away from the Cannondale. An absolute bruiser, it can handle pretty much anything. It’s a keeper.

But what about the old girl? Well, by this point she was in regular (mainly spring/summer) use – but the paint was super tired and flaking off. There was some surface rust, but nothing I’d consider an issue.

7A7A4943-A74F-4064-B0D4-410E64F256D7.jpeg

After doing some research I decided she should go back to Orange and have a full pampering and makeover. Then Covid hit, and Orange stopped doing resprays – but I’d call every once in a while and finally they said they were going to start it up again but weren’t sure when. If I could box the bike up and get it to them then they’d do it when they could.

Now, just to choose a colour. There wasn’t a white, so I went with what they had was closest.

A big box arrives

So, it turned up. To say I was absolutely over the moon was an understatement. They’d done a fantastic job – it came back with new decals, metal head badges and new bottle cage bolts. All contact areas had been properly faced – and it was ready to go.

At the same time, some Hope Pro 3’s came up on ebay that I couldn’t resist.

It wasn't white, but I was really pleased with the slightly grey colour as it is more interesting. I needed to think about colour schemes - but was well chuffed.

3A7D72F9-7E71-4575-97FC-E4DC0E527FE2.jpeg

The Build

So the pile of parts was assembled, and the build began. Annoyingly it didn’t take long – but was a lot of fun. Partway along I decided that the XT V’s needed to be black to match the colour scheme – which by now had emerged as black and red. That meant only one thing – XTR. Nice.

The box of USE seatpost bits in the garage turned up a red cradle, which went nicely on the black post.

Some red Xlite bits at the front end (top cap and spacers) and some more modern red Hope bits in terms of skewers and seatclamp. The wheels have red ano nipples, and some ebay cheapo red ano valve caps. Red chainring bolts are an accent to the red Xite crack cap covers.

Bars are Xlite, and the end caps are their Disco BB’s – a Christmas present from my parents in the mid 90’s when I was a young teen.

So, there she was. All built up. Some Billy Bonkers have gone one – and it is my first time using them. They seem to be well regarded so I’m hoping for some comfort.

I need to find a Hope or Royce BB, but for the time being a UN72 will do the trick and is hidden away.

7703CAFD-815A-44E3-8102-CD3B825FE6D0.jpeg

4C660998-3C2A-46A6-8AC2-8C45D45AB927.jpeg

C1BD5D0E-D09C-435B-A31D-7F1E0D8C1622.jpeg

AB5E0202-16EA-4D9B-AFAC-3991A1CBE9CC.jpeg

From a fellow white-ish frame enthusiast I say “nice job sir”. Some frames and bikes that we own early on may not be that lightest or most desirable but they stay there with us through thick and thin. The fact they do donkey work commuting, and errand running as well as hurtling down singletrack is all the more remarkable. A great mix of shiny bits new-ish and old.

Thats really nice and understated. I like understated! How do you find the tyres? Narrowish semi-slick 26" seem hard to find these days.

I agree with @trailstar82 - it's the 'old friend' bikes that count, that fit like gloves and feel like extensions of ourselves.

Back