1998 Kona Lava Dome - The (ex) shopping trolley...

Nice to see you've altered it mate as it looks loads better and i bet it actually feels like a proper bike now ;) ..

Kona-Ian":3a7ni1dc said:
The paintwork looks pretty good.

Yeah, there's some cable rub on the head tube, but otherwise it's in great shape. I did touch up the top tube decals with some car touch up paint, looks good as new now.

Re:

if you squint with one eye, in the first pic, with those mudguards it looks kinda like a raleigh grifter :shock:
looks loads better now :D

Re:

Small update, fitted some 26x1.1 Michelin slicks to some Ritchey Vantage Expert rims on XT hubs to try slicks out for my commute to work soon, been out for a few rides on the slicks and the phrase "effortless" comes to mind, compared to the more usual knobbly mtb tyres.
Luckily both the original wheels and the Ritchey rimmed wheels are the same width rim, so swapping wheels over between slick/knobbly is a two minute job at most, no need to adjust the brakes or anything ! :D
I have some mudguards to fit at some point, along with some Schwalbe Marathon tyres for winter duties. I'll see how the commute works out, I may end up fitting a rear rack and pannier(s) at some point .
I do like a steel frame :mrgreen:

Back